Mt. St. Helen's this weekend.....

12:09 p.m. on June 18, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

I'm flying out to Portland on Thursday to to hike Mt. St. Helen's on Friday. Some people in our group are going to rent plastic boots. I plan to rent crampons and an ice axe but am wondering if I really need the plastic boots. I have a pair of Merrell Wilderness which I'm thinking will be fine. There will be snow and slush conditions I guess. It just seems that a pair of gaitors and my boots which are crampon compatible would be good enough...what do you think?

6:09 p.m. on June 18, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. jeff keeney

Quote:

I think you will be just fine in your leather boots. According to the St Helens website, you will likely be on snow all the way from Climber's Bivouac up to Monitor Ridge, but it has been getting fairly cold at night and the snow should set up well. Bring your crampons - but I have yet to put them on when climbing St Helens. If things get slippery, I simply move over to the ridge which is usually exposed rock. Have fun - the weather forecast looks good!

8:28 a.m. on June 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

Thanks for the response. I've gotten about 50/50 response on which to go with from everybody I've asked. I guess it will mostly come down to if the platic boots fit. My friends are going to have to rent them for me without me being able to try them on. I'll be able to try them on before the hike...just not in the store so I can exchange them. I have a friend who does a lot of hiking in the snow out in Colorado with the Wilderness. Of course, it's a much dryer snow out there.

Quote:

Quote:

I think you will be just fine in your leather boots. According to the St Helens website, you will likely be on snow all the way from Climber's Bivouac up to Monitor Ridge, but it has been getting fairly cold at night and the snow should set up well. Bring your crampons - but I have yet to put them on when climbing St Helens. If things get slippery, I simply move over to the ridge which is usually exposed rock. Have fun - the weather forecast looks good!

1:13 p.m. on June 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. jeff keeney
Maybe See You There...

Quote:

You post got me thinkin' it was about time for a quick climb and ski descent of St Helens, so might see you there. If I go, I will be camping at CB Thursday night in a yellow Bibler tent. On the hill, I'll be the short guy with a BD Ice Pack (bright orange - you can't miss it)humping tele gear.

8:37 a.m. on June 20, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M
Re: Maybe See You There...

That would be funny. I think we are starting the hike at the climber bivouac. I think we'll have a party of five (maybe more) at least 2 guys and 2 girls. I'll have a green Dana Designs backpack and my wife will have an orange Lowe Alpine.

Quote:

Quote:

You post got me thinkin' it was about time for a quick climb and ski descent of St Helens, so might see you there. If I go, I will be camping at CB Thursday night in a yellow Bibler tent. On the hill, I'll be the short guy with a BD Ice Pack (bright orange - you can't miss it)humping tele gear.

9:29 a.m. on June 24, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M
Did you go?

Right about the time I was reaching the top I saw some guys going down on Telemark...one had an orange pack. Was it you?

11:01 a.m. on June 24, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Yep!

Quote:

I did. Spent Thursday night at Climber's Bivouac (looked for you in camp but, after checking the register at Jack's on the way out, saw that you did not come in until Friday am) and started hiking at 5:00 am. Got to the top @ 9:30. Was looking for you guys, but my guess is you were heading up the ridge while I was skiing down off to the west (I was alone, had a bright orange pack). Skied from the summit all the way to where the trail enters the woods at 4'700. Sure was a nice day! Hope you folks had fun! BTW - where did you come in from?

12:30 p.m. on June 24, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M
Re: Yep!

My wife and a flew in from Atlanta, GA on Thursday night and spent the night with friends in Portland. We got up around 4:30 a.m. and drove to St. Helen's. We met another friend at Jack's and started climbing around 7:45 am. We summitted around 1:30. We were moving somewhat slow because my wife is still recovering from a hairline fracture in her foot. She slipped and broke her foot just two weeks ago. She made it to about 1,800 feet below the summit and was going to stop but couldn't stand being able to see the end and not make it. Maybe you passed on your way down. It was group of two women and three men. We glissaded down and had a blast. Since you were there you know just how great the weather was that day. That wasn't you with the dog named Shasta was it?

Quote:

Quote:

I did. Spent Thursday night at Climber's Bivouac (looked for you in camp but, after checking the register at Jack's on the way out, saw that you did not come in until Friday am) and started hiking at 5:00 am. Got to the top @ 9:30. Was looking for you guys, but my guess is you were heading up the ridge while I was skiing down off to the west (I was alone, had a bright orange pack). Skied from the summit all the way to where the trail enters the woods at 4'700. Sure was a nice day! Hope you folks had fun! BTW - where did you come in from?

3:16 p.m. on June 24, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. jeff keeney
Re: Yep!

Quote:

No dawg, just me. Glad you had a nice trip and that the Pac NW Weather cooperated for your climb!

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply