About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Zeus EXO 2

12:13 p.m. on July 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. PAN

I need a small backpacker's tent and am considering the Eureka! Zeus EXO 2 versus the REI Half Dome 2. I'm currently using a 1979 Timberline 2 (its ready for the museum) but its a bit heavy, packs big, and set up is slow. The Half Dome is a known quantity being a relatively standard tent and is getting good reviews. The Zeus packs smaller and lighter. However, I'm concerned with condensation in the Zeus EXO and its a new untested product. Now that summer is here, has anyone used the Zeus? How did it perform and under what conditions?

12:24 a.m. on July 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've used the Zeus II a few times and It has performed pretty well. The latest trip was a 3 day hike in the Mountains of Big Bear California. It was fairly dry so condensation was nill. Not even damp on the inside of the tent. The unique High-Low venting on the Zeus II really does its job. One thing that most people don't know about the tent (and why eureka doesn't mention this more I don't know) is that there is a 6 inch'ish strip of mesh running down both sides of the tent near the base (but well above the bathtub floor). Despite its looks it has a total of 6 vents ranging from small to large. And I'm pretty certain that you could cram 3+ people into it to play cards on a rany day.

One comment I would make about the Zeus II is that it isn't a true two man tent. Two people can sleep in it certainly. But if your backpacking only one of you will be able to keep your pack in the vestuable. The other pack will have to stay outside. And you will have to evict the pack that is inside in order to get yorself out.

I use the Zeus II solo because I like to bring my pack into the tent with me. And for 3 pounds 10 ounces I just can't beat the space/weigh the Zeus II gives me. If however you can stand a slightly smaller tent I would reccomend the Zeus I. Its almost identical to the II except that its only 3 pounds and its not wide enough to bring your pack in with you. The pack would have to stay in the vestuable. But the Zeus I is also almost $40 cheaper than the II. Coming in at $111. (USD) or something like that.

Good luck with your shopping.

Ps.
I'd love to hear from someone who has tried this tent in really rainy/wet conditions. I've yet to see a really heavy storm with it. (what with living in Southern California and all)

Quote:

I need a small backpacker's tent and am considering the Eureka! Zeus EXO 2 versus the REI Half Dome 2. I'm currently using a 1979 Timberline 2 (its ready for the museum) but its a bit heavy, packs big, and set up is slow. The Half Dome is a known quantity being a relatively standard tent and is getting good reviews. The Zeus packs smaller and lighter. However, I'm concerned with condensation in the Zeus EXO and its a new untested product. Now that summer is here, has anyone used the Zeus? How did it perform and under what conditions?

6:20 a.m. on July 12, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Where did you get it for $111? n/m

nm

12:01 a.m. on July 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Where did you get it for $111? n/m

Sorry about that. The price for the Zeus I is $119.95 (USD)
The Zeus II is 139.95 (USD) I don't think I mentioned it before, but if you can afford it Kurt Russell of Wanderlustgear makes a tent called the Nomad Lite that I have heard nothing but good things about. The Zeus tents are good, but from what I've seen the Nomad series tents beat it to death from a weight standpoint. Coming in at just over 1.5 pounds. Although the Zeus may be a little better from a livability standpoint.

1:23 p.m. on July 14, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Zeus EXO 2 vs. REI Half Dome Plus

We also were seriously looking at the Zeus a while back and I didn't go with it for two reasons. One was the questionable condensation. (We live in Tennessee.) I found no reports on it in areas similar to ours. Also wanted vestibule area for two packs and didn't want to have to climb over packs to get out. We went with the Half Dome Plus. It does have a lot to offer for 5.5 lbs. A great design. My 14 year old is about 5'8" & 180 lbs. He and a friend (taller than he) stayed comfortably in it with both packs in the vestibules and could easily exit the tent. I am still curious about the Zeus 2 and may still get it in the future. Can't beat 3 lbs. 14 oz. total pack weight.

11:47 p.m. on July 14, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Zeus EXO 2 vs. REI Half Dome Plus

I agree that the Zeus I & II both have very small vestibules. I think that they are very good tents, (my camping experence here in So. Cal) but nether one would make a really good two man backpacking tent due to the gear storage problems. I'd say that the zeus I makes a good one man tent (barring any condensation problems in wet weather) and the Zeus II is really more like a 1 and a half man tent.

The Zeus series has the definate advantage of weight over the REI Half-dome. But it does come with all the drawbacks of a single wall tent. (even if it is very well vented) If you going to be in mostly dry weather on the west coast I'd go with the Zeus. If your going to be in mostly wet sticky weather on the east coast I'd bite it on the weight and go with the REI half dome. Its all about the weather differences between the AT and the PCT. But for right now, I'm solo, I'm in a dry area, and I like the large space vers. the low weight the Zeus II gives me.

I would however love to hear how the Zeus deals with wet / moist weather.

Quote:

We also were seriously looking at the Zeus a while back and I didn't go with it for two reasons. One was the questionable condensation. (We live in Tennessee.) I found no reports on it in areas similar to ours. Also wanted vestibule area for two packs and didn't want to have to climb over packs to get out. We went with the Half Dome Plus. It does have a lot to offer for 5.5 lbs. A great design. My 14 year old is about 5'8" & 180 lbs. He and a friend (taller than he) stayed comfortably in it with both packs in the vestibules and could easily exit the tent. I am still curious about the Zeus 2 and may still get it in the future. Can't beat 3 lbs. 14 oz. total pack weight.

11:30 a.m. on July 16, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. PAN

Thanks for the thoughts one and all. I'm still on the fence. I was going to use the Zeus EXO 2 as a solo and bring the pack inside with me, so the space issue isn't a problem. On the other hand, with all my stuff inside with me, I'm probably shoving everything up against the crucial ventitlation vents. Also, I'm camping with a bunch of boy scouts (I'm a scout leader) in the State of Washington, that is, frequently wet dripping weather. I'll probably just chicken out on the Zeus and go with the Half-dome.

3:27 p.m. on July 25, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. BL

I just bought the 2EXO and during my first night in it experienced a fair amount of condensation. I suspect, however, that it was exacerbated by some clothes strung outside the tent, which were partially blocking the roof vent. All other vents were clear and unblocked.

We were in the Ventana Wilderness area, in Northern California, so conditions are dry. I will be out again this weekend in Yosemite to give it another test.

I don't plan to use the tent in really wet rainy conditions, and its space-to-weight ratio was one of the key factors in the decision. Just out of curiosity I would also like to hear how it holds up in wet rainy (Pacific Northwest-type) conditions.

Brandon

Quote:

I've used the Zeus II a few times and It has performed pretty well. The latest trip was a 3 day hike in the Mountains of Big Bear California. It was fairly dry so condensation was nill. Not even damp on the inside of the tent. The unique High-Low venting on the Zeus II really does its job. One thing that most people don't know about the tent (and why eureka doesn't mention this more I don't know) is that there is a 6 inch'ish strip of mesh running down both sides of the tent near the base (but well above the bathtub floor). Despite its looks it has a total of 6 vents ranging from small to large. And I'm pretty certain that you could cram 3+ people into it to play cards on a rany day.

One comment I would make about the Zeus II is that it isn't a true two man tent. Two people can sleep in it certainly. But if your backpacking only one of you will be able to keep your pack in the vestuable. The other pack will have to stay outside. And you will have to evict the pack that is inside in order to get yorself out.

I use the Zeus II solo because I like to bring my pack into the tent with me. And for 3 pounds 10 ounces I just can't beat the space/weigh the Zeus II gives me. If however you can stand a slightly smaller tent I would reccomend the Zeus I. Its almost identical to the II except that its only 3 pounds and its not wide enough to bring your pack in with you. The pack would have to stay in the vestuable. But the Zeus I is also almost $40 cheaper than the II. Coming in at $111. (USD) or something like that.

Good luck with your shopping.

Ps.
I'd love to hear from someone who has tried this tent in really rainy/wet conditions. I've yet to see a really heavy storm with it. (what with living in Southern California and all)

Quote:

9:37 p.m. on August 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. mikec him, mikechmi
Re: Where did you get it for $111? n/m

Gander Mountain currently has it for $111, but only til the 10th. Plus there is no online ordering so you have to live in a state that has it.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply