Fuel Requirments

9:12 p.m. on July 15, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Just wondering how much fuel I should take on my trip to Isle Royale. I'll only be cooking dinner and maybe boil some water for breakfast. I'll be there in August. Unfortunatly, I forgot the summer/winter ounces of fuel per person per day. Thanks for your help, Jeff.

2:03 a.m. on July 16, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Just wondering how much fuel I should take on my trip to Isle Royale. I'll only be cooking dinner and maybe boil some water for breakfast. I'll be there in August. Unfortunatly, I forgot the summer/winter ounces of fuel per person per day. Thanks for your help, Jeff.

It depends on what kind of stove you will be using. I think for a Trangia alcohol stove its around 2.5 to 3 ounces per day. (more in winter) I can't say for certain about white gas stoves. I use a Sierra Zip-Stove myself, (wood burning) so just a few extra "AA" batteries for me.

"http://mountainsurvival.com/Backpacktips.html
How much fuel should you carry? The best way to anticipate fuel needs is to keep notes on how much you used on past trips. Barring that, you can go by someone else's rule of thumb. In summer, for example, the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) issues 2.7 ounces of fuel per one per person per day on the trail; in winter, the school allots 2/5 quart 6.4 ounces per person per day. NOLS students cook with basic foods, however, not freeze-dried meals or instant meals."

6:32 a.m. on July 16, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Using a Camping Gaz stove...........

with the Bluet 470 can, I burn one ounce of fuel for every 1/2 gallon of water I boil (rolling boil for 30 seconds).

2:09 p.m. on July 17, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

Based on many years of experience, my fuel usage for summer boiling-water meals (freezedry, instant rice, angel-hair pasta, etc) is 1.5 ounces of white gas or compressed gas/person/day. For planning, especially when I am advising Scout trips, we allow 2 ounces/person/day. Winter usage is very dependent on (1) availability of liquid water (from still-flowing streams or chop through the ice of the lake) (2) melting snow for water or (3) how cold is it. For the Sierra (relatively warm for melting snow), I plan on 5 ounces/person/day. On Denali (temperatures down to -20F or so), we used around 8 ounces/person/day, but I have had situations (Tetons backcountry ski tour, temperatures never higher than -10F the whole week, and at -40 a good part of the time) where usage was close to a half liter/person/day.

I have found that the required amounts of white gas, kerosene, and compressed gas (butane mixes and propane) are pretty close to the same, not surprising when you look at the Chemical Handbook tables. Alcohol provides a lower heat output, plus burning at a lower temperature. The lower temperature burning lowers the stove efficiency in cold weather, unless you have a good wind shield and pot system. In summer, allow about twice as much alcohol as you would the petroleum fuels.

I would guess for Isle Royale at this time of year that 2 ounces of white gas, kerosene, or compressed gas per person per day would be plenty.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply