Ursak or Bear can

5:05 p.m. on July 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I am planning to do an 8-12 day loop around Flathead NF. It's a solo trip (w/dog) so every I need will have to be on my back (thus weight is sort of an issue). I am wondering if the dog can get away with bear bags or we should lug bear cans around (and fork over the money to get them).
Thanks!

11:29 p.m. on July 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I am planning to do an 8-12 day loop around Flathead NF. It's a solo trip (w/dog) so every I need will have to be on my back (thus weight is sort of an issue). I am wondering if the dog can get away with bear bags or we should lug bear cans around (and fork over the money to get them).
Thanks!

I don't think that the dog wont be too big an issue in the food storage game. Short of the extra food that you'll have to carry for spot. If you eat well, and taking "spot" food into account you'll be carrying around 2+ pounds of food per day. And at 8 to 12 days you may well require more food storage space than one canister can provide. Or you would have to keep some of your food out of the container negaiting the containers usefullness. The containers also stay the same size empty or full. I've brought this up with sales people and lets just say; don't let any smiling sales person tell you "Just store other things inside the container if its empty and your worried about space." You don't need even more of your gear smelling like food.

Given the choice of the Ursack vers's the container I'd go with the newest Ursack TKO. At about $49, it weighs a mere 5 ounces, will hold 650ci of food. If you follow the directions to the letter (and provided you not in an area where the sacks are banned) it should protect your food from all but the most highly habituated bears.

But keep in mind that the Ursacks are not completly *bear proof* So if you are in an area where you *know* that bears are habituated to the food reward and you will not be able to hike out with-in about 8 hours of hiking, go with the container. Better safe than starving and far from a re-supply.

2:33 p.m. on July 18, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Be aware that the Ursack is not allowed in some areas. The reason is that it is not fully bearproof. For example, read:

http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/bear-cans.html

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply