About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Mystery Ranch Packs???

7:40 a.m. on August 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott K

HAs anyone used the new line of these packs made by, backpack guru Dana Gleason?? Thinkin about buyin one but before I *plop* the cash, I would like an independent review.

2:33 p.m. on August 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I just bought a Blues pack and I will be breaking it in on a Grand Tetons trip next week. So far I have worn the pack for a few hours with a full load and it is a dream to wear. It's nice and compact and very sturdy. I wish it were lighter, but I like the fact that I won;t have to worry about beating on this bag! The fabric is very tough and the simple design of the packbag should last for many, many years. I love how the suspention system fits, and I am sure my initial impressions will be confirmed on the trail. I'll follow up in a couple of weeks.

11:16 p.m. on August 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

HAs anyone used the new line of these packs made by, backpack guru Dana Gleason?? Thinkin about buyin one but before I *plop* the cash, I would like an independent review.

I also have the "Blues" pack, and it is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever worn. When I put it on in the store I knew instantly this was the pack for me and all other issues were irrelavant. Yes, Like Mason said it is heavy, But what was the last ultrlight pack Dana built. Depending on how big of a pack bag you are getting I would seriously recomend the extra hip pads the standard ones are kinda flimsey. My only problem with this pack has been finding places to put accessable water bottles, other than the hydration pockets (to cheap to spring for bladders, but am slowly changing my mind). If in the back tube pockets or back lid pocketthe pack is weighted to far back and if you put it in the front lid pocket it bounces off the back of your head as you hike.
Dana basically took the pack bag design from his old company so you know they are well thought out; for instance my Blues bag is basically the same as a Dana Bridger. I bought my pack for half price or there is no way I could have afforded it, but I like it so much I plan on purchasing a Rythem, and Daily pack bag the next time I see them on sale. Also If you really like the system but just can't justify the money or find them on sale they are building a compatable system with Kelty. If you email the Mystery Ranch people they can explain how this works much better than I can. I hope that this helps out they really are great packs.

Will

9:31 p.m. on August 14, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts
Mystery Ranch Packs

I just had a long talk with Mr. Gleason (he's almost as old as OGBO) last Sunday. His new packs have been significantly changed, moving away from the modular design. That's the one licensed to Kelty, so you will not get the same comfort and fit out of the Kelty as out of the new MR designs. Most of the problems mentioned by Mason and Will are cured (come on, Mason, get a bladder!). I was really impressed with the ease of fitting of the new design, much improved over the old one (doesn't seem possible, but it is so). The new packs are a tiny bit lighter than the old ones of the same capacity, but still not RayWay packs by a long shot. I didn't carry the pack any distance, but did have it on with about 50 pounds for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure when they will appear in the stores, maybe not until next spring season. And hey, Dana is a really cool guy, as are all of us of that generation.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply