GPS in Patagonia

10:18 p.m. on August 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Up to now, I mainly used my GPS (cheap yellow etrex) as a backup for finding my way back to where I came from, so I never seriously looked at map software. I'm going on a trip to Patagonia this fall and think I might just start putting in way points ahead of time.

Since Maptech doesn't seem to have anything good for that area, I was wondering if I really need their software to put in waypoints of a map. Garmin's product literature is a bit unclear, but seems to suggest so.

Does anybody here know? I'd hate to shell out $80 for a map I'll never use just to get the tiny piece of software to put in waypoints.

1:13 a.m. on August 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. mikec him, mikechmi

Quote:

Up to now, I mainly used my GPS (cheap yellow etrex) as a backup for finding my way back to where I came from, so I never seriously looked at map software. I'm going on a trip to Patagonia this fall and think I might just start putting in way points ahead of time.

Since Maptech doesn't seem to have anything good for that area, I was wondering if I really need their software to put in waypoints of a map. Garmin's product literature is a bit unclear, but seems to suggest so.

Does anybody here know? I'd hate to shell out $80 for a map I'll never use just to get the tiny piece of software to put in waypoints.

If you know the lat and long of the waypoint you can always manually enter it.

7:05 a.m. on August 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Routes

It is very easy to enter a route, before you go, from the comfort of your living room. Get a map (are you going to Paine ?) and enter the different waypoints (lat, lon) that best describe the path you are going to follow or trail you are going to use. At first, it is odd (read the manual) but you will get better at it very fast. Check out http://www.gci.usherb.ca/hydro/PaineWeb_fichiers/frame.htm
for a preview of Paine Ntl park.

8:41 p.m. on August 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Routes

Thanks, I found it in the manual. I just never thought that this was covered in a couple of sentences in a section on menu options instead of the ones dealing with routes, creating waypoints,... .

Great pictures, by the way. I hope I can fit in some days in Torres del Paine on the way.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply