About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Esbit Stove

4:01 p.m. on August 12, 2002 (EDT)

I recently spent 21 days on the John Muir Trail (7/12 to
8/1/02); this actually was a 38 year re-visit for in July of 64 I hiked from Whitney Portals to Happy Isles in the same number of days. This trip I hiked from Yosemite to Whitney Portals including peak bagging Split Mtn, Mount Tyndall and Mount Muir in addition to sleeping on the Whitney summit. During these 21 days I camped mainly in the 10,000' elevation range. On the occassions of Split Mtn. I bivvied at 11,600' ...Mount Tyndall I bivvied at 11,959' and of course on the summit of Whitney at 14,496'.I used the Esbit Stove exclusively along with a modified MSR Windscreen, .85 L titanium pot and lid, etc. I foud the Esbit to be really efficient and functional as long as you have a minimum tolerance windscreen, and you keep the fuel tabs going at high burn rate. Generally speaking I could attain a rolling boil in 6 to 8 minutes. At the higher elevations it took as much as 12 minutes using two fuel tabs to increase the heat concentration. Considering that
most other backpackers were using MSR WhisperLite or Dragonfly Stoves...ther was little difference between the MSR and Esbit cooking times at similar elevations. The savings in bulk, weight, etc. makes the Esbit a really good choice for the solo backpacker/climber...actually it would be fine for a party of two or three too! I had a great trip and thanks to the Esbit Stove, I ate well and travelled lighter... :) Conrad J. Willett

3:35 p.m. on August 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks, I'm considering using some tabs similiar to Esbit or Trangia at around 10K (I've already posted my Tragia question below). Your Esbit info is very useful to me. Thanks again.

You may want to repost at "Lite gear talk" at:
http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html

Cheers, LesM :-)

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply