Adirondack - GPS

9:48 p.m. on August 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Now that I've finally joined the modern age with a GPS unit I'm looking for a library of GPS waypoints for the ADK 46 High Any such library exist?
What I had in mind was a route of waypoints actually recorded along each major trail to help in trail-finding in the winter, or to keep from getting lost on the "herd paths" in the summer. My experience is that topo maps are accurate on the major features, but not so on the trail routes.

6:58 a.m. on August 20, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Last year I needed the same thing and took them all from www.topozone.com . They proved quite accurate. Check the map datum with your GPS datum (to make sure they are the same...eg WGS 84).

I couldn't find a 'library' of points. I made my own library of points leading to Colden from ADK Loj, and the surrounding areas

1:52 p.m. on August 20, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

The Mid-Atlantic Trailblazer (Tedeschini and Maki, ISBN 0-9653209-0-1) has lists of the trailheads and trails in the Adirondacks, although it does not have a list of the peaks. The coordinates for the towns are the geographic centers of the towns.

I would suggest also that you get the National Geographic Topo! CD set for New York. It is pricey if you just want one peak and trail, but for all 46, it is less than buying the individual USGS quads. Using that program, you can quickly get the coordinates of the peak(s) you want to do this weekend and along the trails, and let the computer do the work of uploading. Much easier than using someone's printed list and doing it by hand.

Be sure to carry a paper map, such as the ones you can get from this website (click on maps at the top of the page).

12:06 p.m. on August 21, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Bill, you are mellowing!

not one correction about "GPSR"!

2:14 p.m. on August 21, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts
Sometimes I just...

give a big sigh and ignore the errors. Besides I just got back from giving a land nav workshop. It was hard enough trying to cure one very experienced outdoor type who was there because he was "declination dyslexic" (his term, and his evaluation of himself), and the woman who was sure that she would get lost when she got more than 100 yards from the trailhead, even though she picked up all the map and compass stuff very quickly (even the declination stuff - and no, let's not start the declination/variation/deviation debate again).

10:38 a.m. on December 31, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi,
I am looking for employment/internship in the Adirondacks- using a GPS to map trails/trail features. If anyone knows of any websites or other information about this topic, please write...

Thanks

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply