Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight

6:52 p.m. on December 1, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Is the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD worth it? I have heard that it is a tight fit for two people. Any suggestions for a tent that is less crammed, but still weighs about the same?

10:23 a.m. on December 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

The two person Clip Flashlight is a little tight in my opinion. Check out the three person Clip Flashlight (if it's still being made). It's only about a pound heavier and is significantly roomier.

John

Quote:

Is the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD worth it? I have heard that it is a tight fit for two people. Any suggestions for a tent that is less crammed, but still weighs about the same?

1:54 p.m. on December 2, 2002 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,398 forum posts

"Worth it" depends on you and your uses. You have to define your parameters. I had (still have, but will be donating it to the Red Cross emergency folks) a Sleeve Flashlight for some 12 years. For my purposes, it has been a fantastic tent. It packed to 3 1/2 pounds the way I carried it (poles, pegs, and all). Tight for 2 people? Well, that really depends on what two people - size, friendliness, what gear you take in with you - doesn't it? For my wife and me, it was just fine. I used it a lot as a solo tent, summer and winter. I had it in snow storms where it dumped as much as 2 feet of snow. Yeah, yeah, I know, it is a 2-3 season tent, what with the mesh door and all. But it still worked just fine. I even used it up on Mt Baker one time.

I got the new version of the Clip Flashlight a few months back, when REI had them on sale for about $100. Worth it? For my purposes, it sure is. Couple complaints, though. It is larger and has a real vestibule, which the old Sleeve Flashlight did not, plus all those clips and more required tiedown points (meaning over twice as many required pegs). It is heavier, for obvious reasons, about 4 1/4 pounds as I carry it, or 3/4 pound heavier than the old Sleeve version. Still, there are not many 2-person 2-3 season tents in that weight range. SD makes great tents at excellent prices, compared to other manufacturers. They have a few deficiencies (probably too much mesh on this version to use in a snow storm, probably 2 to 3 times the mesh area). But then, every tent I have ever used, owned, or looked at has deficiencies.

Do you want a full 3-season, 4-season, or expedition tent? Then this isn't the tent for you. Do you want a larger, but lighter tent? You won't find one in a 2-wall (there are a couple of single wall tents that are lighter with more room, but they are significantly more expensive, and you better know how to use a single wall in humid conditions). Do you want a free-standing tent that is very light and yet roomy? Aside from the fact that there is no such thing as a truly free-standing tent, this isn't for you (nor any of its closest competitors). (Even so-called free-standing tents have to be anchored if there is any sort of breeze)

Anyway, the short answer is - the SDCF is well worth it, if it fits your needs, but if its particular compromises are unacceptable to you, well, you better look elsewhere for a tent whose design compromises are acceptable. Too tight for 2 people? That depends on you and your tentmate. The current version is larger with a significant vestibule compared to the old Sleeve version (which hasn't been made for about 10 years). But, for its uses, it is at the top of my list.

8:15 p.m. on December 8, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I've also heard it's a tight it. Try the Orion AST from Sierra Designs

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply