Freestanding Tent

6:01 p.m. on December 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm looking for a freestanding 3 season tent for 2 people, under 5.5 lbs, and less than $250. Any suggestions?

8:23 p.m. on December 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Mike D., Mike Davis

I've always been impressed with the Thru-hiker from Mountain Hardwear. It's $290 but probably worth it. If your more concerned about the money you could try a Eureka tent like the Mountain pass 2XT which costs alot less than $250. You should call up the Factory Outlet which sells them for near half price 1-800-572-8822. www.jwa.com I would also check out the new MSR tents which are basically Walrus tents.

7:01 p.m. on December 5, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott

The lightwedge by Mtn. Hardwear is a great tent. It's 35 sq. ft. and under $250 and around 5.5 lbs.. I think. Check Ebay you may find a really good deal on it.

8:13 p.m. on December 8, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I'm looking for a freestanding 3 season tent for 2 people, under 5.5 lbs, and less than $250. Any suggestions?

Tough requirements, but try the Sierra Designs Orion AST. It's about 5.6 lbs, sells for around $200. and has handled some heavy weather for us with no problems. You won't get everything you want under 5.5 lbs., so the vestibule is kind of small. The ventilation is not great in very cold weather with the fly attached, but it's sufficient. Good luck.

8:25 p.m. on January 18, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

have you looked at the Kelty Vortex 2? i have an earlier edition and it is a great tent. only issue i have is the large footprint. it is worth a look.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply