Vapor barriers for sleepingbags

7:55 a.m. on December 15, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I user VB's for by feet with really great results. Anyone have experience useing VB's with sleeping bags?

Thanks,
Dave

3:50 p.m. on December 15, 2002 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts
Yes

I have been using VBLs in sleeping bags for a number of years. For some people and for some conditions, they are excellent. But some people really hate them, and they are not suitable for for anybody in some conditions. They tend to work best in very cold conditions (below 15F for me). I also wear wicking long johns when using the VBL

Bottom line is you have to try a VBL for yourself under various conditions to see whether it works for you. Since you say VBL socks work well for you (as they do for me under some conditions), you have a good chance of VBL sleeping bag liner working for you as well.

VBL clothes are a whole other story. They do not work for me at all.

9:30 p.m. on December 16, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I user VB's for by feet with really great results. Anyone have experience useing VB's with sleeping bags?

Thanks,
Dave

A VBL is the way to go - if you wear wicking undies and can tolerate the "sticky" moist feeling that comes along with them, as noted in the previous response. Personally, i use (as I have for a good many years), mine anytime the temp dips into the 20F's. This also gives me certain lattitude in bag selection. A side bonus is that the VBL helps me maintain more moisture on my inherently too dry skin.

Another trick to help minimize moisture in yer 'bag is when you get up to dress for the day, immediately turn the bag inside out and "compress" it a few times. This will help expel warm air (though the VBL keeps out moisture, the temp variance will still draw limited moisture from the air) and further help minimize any potential for moisture or condensation accumulating in the insulation due to temp. change/variance from yer warm body to the cold air the insulation is now exposed to.

Mm

8:44 p.m. on December 17, 2002 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
No

I hate em.
YMMV
Jim S(:->)

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply