Boot Problems! Help!

7:34 p.m. on December 18, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I recently got a pair of women's Zamberlans. they are waterproof, very expensive, and they are very structurally comfortable- some of the most I've worn. Because they are Gore-tex though, they don't breath well. My feet always end up wet (and I don't have a foot sweating problem!) I've tried wearing different types of socks, but it hasn't really helped. I have a special insole i have to use that is kind of foamy, i think it might be absorbing water. I am thinking of coating it in latex waterproofer. but i still don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions, experiences like this? What have you done for goretex boots?
Thanks!

6:35 a.m. on December 19, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
why don't they breath well BECAUSE they are gore-tex?

I have always heard and experienced just the opposite.

My feet used to swet like crazy in boots made of leather uppers without the gore-tex bootie. I switched to boots that have gore-tex booties and a combination of split leather and nylon uppers. The feet swet no more.

I also believe in taking off the shoes and socks when taking a break and "letting the puppies breath".

9:08 p.m. on December 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott

I have used Gore-tex boots and had a few problems with feet sweat. It usually occurs when I'm doing winter hiking for some reason. I also do not have a foot sweating problem in general. One good thing is to take a break every now and then and let your feet dry. Also, wear non gore-tex boots. I have started using Montrail Vitesse trail running shoes that are non gore-tex. In the winter I use these with a Gore-tex sock I got from REI.

8:54 p.m. on December 29, 2002 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts
Gore-tex + full leather uppers = sweaty feet

At least that is my experience. I found two solutions- only get gore-tex boots that are split leather/nylon and breathe better, or get non-gore-tex leather boots and use gore-tex socks when it gets really wet. I'm not sure why, but using the gore-tex socks does not make my feet as wet...

9:21 p.m. on January 13, 2003 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Julie,
Don't know of any great fix -- you've a fundamentally low breathability boot situation. Suggestions:
1-use a poly pro liner sock underneath a thicker smartwool or similar; 2-carry an extra pair of wool socks and alternate them every 1-2 hours. One dry pair on and one wet pair hanging (and drying from your pack); 3-spray you clean feet with antiperspirant spray at the start of each day (I've never tried this, but have read about it working for some people). Hope this helps.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply