About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Powershield vs Scheoller Dryskin extreme

12:04 p.m. on December 29, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I am looking to buy a softshell and these two fabrics seem to be used in most I have looked at so far, from the reviews I have read I am getting the impression the Powershield is more stretchy and better at protection of wind and percip but the scheoller is lighter more breathable. The dealers I have talked to say the Scheoller is more wind and water resistent than the Powershield so I am a little confused. I have tried on the Vector 1 and Gamma SV and for overall feel and fit the Gamma SV wins hands down.Any comments would be appriceated.

5:47 p.m. on December 29, 2002 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

More water resistant?
maybe. maybe not.
However the Gamma SV has a microfleece lining so in cooler temps (rain) keeps you warmer. I figure if the outer wets out, you have a "2nd line of defense" from the clamminess.

Then again, I toss on a ultralight pullover to keep snow/wet off, works quite well together.
Powershield is more stretchy.

I look at warmth vs weight vs durability vs cost.
I got my gamma SV for 50% off.

I know scheollor is hard wearing, more so than powershield, but I can only wear one jacket and I chose the SV.

I say fit is foremost.

For water etc. dump a couple of cups of water on both and see how they hold up?

Hope this helped

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply