Need large family tent recommendations

12:00 a.m. on January 6, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I need to purchase a large family tent and need recommendations. I will be camping with my wife and 7 chilren(ages infant to 11 years)in the winter in Florida. I am thinking of buying either the Coleman Weathermaster 3-room 8-person 17x9 tent or the Eddie Bauer 4-room 10-person from Target. Any recommendations would be appreciated

7:34 p.m. on April 9, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've tried both -- the Coleman has much more headroom, better windows, sturdier materials, can stand higher winds, and is just more comfortable to move around in. The dividers are attached to the sides and ceiling, so they offer more privacy for changing clothes. The huge windows are great for opening up to the cooling breezes during the day. I felt more like in a cave in the Eddie Bauer-- we had to crouch in most places in the tent. Much worse, the zippers were pretty bad. They were extremely easy to jam -- quite frustrating. I didn't feel the tent would stand up to lots of coming and going or bad weather. The Coleman floor will leak (both tents leak, but the Bauer has thinner materials and more seams to leak) -- make sure you shelter the tent by suspending a large tarp that extends over all the sides. If anything touches the outside or inside, water collects inside. In bad weather, I add extra tarps to catch side-blown rain before it hits the tent. A trench with good drainage to avoid puddles under the tent is a must. By the way, the tarp also prtects the tent from ultraviolet rays, so the tent lasts longer. I wish they still made the 10X20 Coleman -- I spent weeks in mine year after year. It also had windows on the ends, which the newer, 17X9 doesn't have. But, the new one has a tarp at the entrance -- that's good. It's a great experience -- a real decompression time. Good luck.: I need to purchase a large family tent and need recommendations. I will be camping with my wife and 7 chilren(ages infant to 11 years)in the winter in Florida. I am thinking of buying either the Coleman Weathermaster 3-room 8-person 17x9 tent or the Eddie Bauer 4-room 10-person from Target. Any recommendations would be appreciated

9:18 a.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I need to purchase a large family tent and need recommendations. I will be camping with my wife and 7 chilren(ages infant to 11 years)in the winter in Florida. I am thinking of buying either the Coleman Weathermaster 3-room 8-person 17x9 tent or the Eddie Bauer 4-room 10-person from Target. Any recommendations would be appreciated. YOU OUGHT TO TRY A 148.00 WAL-MART 20X14I THINK THAT WOULD GIVE YOU A LITTLE MORE ROOM THAN THE OTHER TWO YOU HAVE CHOSEN.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply