Snow Camping and Contact Lens

11:28 a.m. on January 15, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Hey Guys, going snow camping with a few people who do this type of thing alot (should be fun, plan to make about 4 igloos, etc.) Anyway, when I've camped before I have always popped my hard contact lens into a hard case with a little soaking solution and stored it in a tent side pocket. Probably not a good idea in freezing weather. I assume that I should store the lens storage case in a pocket in the sleeping bag with me to keep it from freezing. A medical ailment prevents me from wearing specticles.) Is my assumption correct or is there a more clever or better idea? What do you guys do? If faced with a frozen lens in the morning, do I pop the whole thing in my mouth to thaw it out? Thanks for the input!!

2:20 p.m. on January 24, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Yes, definitely sleep with your contact case - and your contact solution for that matter in the sleeping bag with you.

Quote:

Hey Guys, going snow camping with a few people who do this type of thing alot (should be fun, plan to make about 4 igloos, etc.) Anyway, when I've camped before I have always popped my hard contact lens into a hard case with a little soaking solution and stored it in a tent side pocket. Probably not a good idea in freezing weather. I assume that I should store the lens storage case in a pocket in the sleeping bag with me to keep it from freezing. A medical ailment prevents me from wearing specticles.) Is my assumption correct or is there a more clever or better idea? What do you guys do? If faced with a frozen lens in the morning, do I pop the whole thing in my mouth to thaw it out? Thanks for the input!!

5:14 p.m. on January 26, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I use contacts when winter hiking by choice, since I find that glasses fog up easily. I use soft contacts, but I suspect that this will work with the hard variety.

I always bring my glasses with me (just in case!) and carry a lens case full of solution, plus rewetting drops, in a ziplock bag that has a loop to go around my neck, and hangs under my top.

My optometrist recently suggested that for one or two night trips I just keep the lenses in (not sure that is doable with hard lenses), using lots of rewetting solution. Prior to that I used to bring a small bottle of cleaning solution that also went into the ziplock bag. What worried me was the dirty fingers going into my eyes!

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply