About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

bear stories

3:01 p.m. on January 30, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

last fall- i had my first bear experience. i've camped in north georgia, tennessee for years. i've seen plenty o' tracks and plenty 'o skat- but never the creature itself. i'd always been a bit scared of running up on a bear. last september, me and a friend were slowly gasping our way up a trail in the cohutta widlerness. that stretch of trail climbs about 1000 feet in a mile- so we weren't talking or moving too quickly or doing anything that would make much noise. also, it was kinda rainy, with some fog. we came a bend and there, not 20 feet from us , up in a dead poplar, was a sow and two juveniles. before we had a chance to crap our shorts, mama and the kids slid down the tree and were gone. this was one of the coolest things i ever saw in the woods. it also gave me a great deal of persepective on what a bear (or at least the black bears in my part of the world) is and how they tend to behave. anyone have a similar story?

5:37 p.m. on January 30, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Say.. was that Tearbritches Trail?

Not much to say any different about my bear sightings in the Cohutta other than I think I see more evidence in the Big Frog (adjoining wilderness in TN) than I do in the Cohutta. Hunters consistently take very large bears from this area (not like they use the bear for anything (kind of a soap box of mine, rallying against)).

Was hiking up Penitentiary Gap and heard a rustling in the leaves not too far from the trail. Stopped to take a look and a cub hopped onto the base of a tree. It was pretty awesome, the fresh green spring foliage as a backdrop and the bears coal back color smack in the middle of it all. Wish I had time for a pic but it moved off so quickly that there was no way I could

9:36 p.m. on January 30, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott

Well, it looks like we're all seeing bears at the same place. The summer of 2001 I was mtn. biking at Tanasi, which is located at the Olympic Whitewater area at the Ocoee River. The tril goes South of the center towards Big Frog, etc. I was climbing an hill and just at the peak there was standing a huge black bear staring at me. I nearly crapped my pants, then it ran away. When I got back I was talking with a ranger and this is a very common incidence. I've also seen a few in the Smokies on several occasions during the warmer months.

6:53 a.m. on January 31, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

close- it was on panther creek trail. yeah, you might be right about the hibernating thing. also- with the large base of avid "sportsmen" we have around here (a significant minority of whom have little concern for designated hunting seasons and mandated practices and reporting)- bears in georgia that don't keep well out of sight get killed.

Quote:

Not much to say any different about my bear sightings in the Cohutta other than I think I see more evidence in the Big Frog (adjoining wilderness in TN) than I do in the Cohutta. Hunters consistently take very large bears from this area (not like they use the bear for anything (kind of a soap box of mine, rallying against)).

Was hiking up Penitentiary Gap and heard a rustling in the leaves not too far from the trail. Stopped to take a look and a cub hopped onto the base of a tree. It was pretty awesome, the fresh green spring foliage as a backdrop and the bears coal back color smack in the middle of it all. Wish I had time for a pic but it moved off so quickly that there was no way I could

11:32 a.m. on February 4, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Johnny C

Quote:

last fall- i had my first bear experience. i've camped in north georgia, tennessee for years. i've seen plenty o' tracks and plenty 'o skat- but never the creature itself. i'd always been a bit scared of running up on a bear. last september, me and a friend were slowly gasping our way up a trail in the cohutta widlerness. that stretch of trail climbs about 1000 feet in a mile- so we weren't talking or moving too quickly or doing anything that would make much noise. also, it was kinda rainy, with some fog. we came a bend and there, not 20 feet from us , up in a dead poplar, was a sow and two juveniles. before we had a chance to crap our shorts, mama and the kids slid down the tree and were gone. this was one of the coolest things i ever saw in the woods. it also gave me a great deal of persepective on what a bear (or at least the black bears in my part of the world) is and how they tend to behave. anyone have a similar story?

Two summers ago I soloed backpack from Yellowstone to near Teton Pass. While going through Yellowstone I had camped at Shoshone Lake. Across the lake I heard yelling and screaming. I could see a grizzly bear had come into a couple of backpakers camp while they were cooking and took their food. That was the worst night I have ever tried to sleep in the backcountry.I usually cook dinner a mile or so before setting up camp and hung my food a couple of hundred feet away from my camp site. I had a lot of trouble trying to sleep. About one am I heard something big moving around and sniffing near my tent.I was totally freaked. I had a can of bear spray, but I did not know how much good it would do inside my tent.Whatever it was it went away. There was slobber on the outside of my tent in the morning. I got out of there at first light. I ran into a couple of backpackers on the way out, who had sleept in hammocks at the lake. They had something big come into their camp and sniff around also.They had hung their packs on a tree limb to keep the rodents off of them. In the mornig it had slobber all over them. One of them had, what ever it was, rubbed up against his hammock. He said he he could barely breathe let alone move. The were pretty sure it was the bear. I had heard the rangers had closed the lake for awile.I never saw another bear the rest of the trip, but I was very cautious the rest of the way.

2:08 p.m. on February 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

What trail in the Cohutta? I hike there several times a year and have not seen a bear.....

Quote:

2:13 p.m. on February 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

Above or below the falls on Panther creek? I camp at the top of the falls usually once a year. Guess my dogs probably scare things off. I've never seen a bear in the Cohutta. Had a huge buck run through our camp on the Jacks River trail. Scared the hell out of me.

Quote:

close- it was on panther creek trail. yeah, you might be right about the hibernating thing. also- with the large base of avid "sportsmen" we have around here (a significant minority of whom have little concern for designated hunting seasons and mandated practices and reporting)- bears in georgia that don't keep well out of sight get killed.

Quote:

11:09 a.m. on February 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

about 1/2 to 3/4 mile above the falls. right around where the trail gets easy.

Quote:

Above or below the falls on Panther creek? I camp at the top of the falls usually once a year. Guess my dogs probably scare things off. I've never seen a bear in the Cohutta. Had a huge buck run through our camp on the Jacks River trail. Scared the hell out of me.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply