Bibler tents

8:26 p.m. on February 9, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm thinking about trying out a single wall tent for full three season use in the Colorado Rockies. I'm eyeing the Awhanee model from Bibler. Does anyone have experience with the Awahnee, or other Bibler tents?

I'm looking for ultimate the ultimate storm proof tent. I got caught in an extended very cold downpour last year and got a little wet and cold. Don't want to do it again.

Thanks,
Fred

11:45 a.m. on February 10, 2003 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
1/21/03 climbing forum topic...

Quote:

I'm thinking about trying out a single wall tent for full three season use in the Colorado Rockies. I'm eyeing the Awhanee model from Bibler. Does anyone have experience with the Awahnee, or other Bibler tents?

I'm looking for ultimate the ultimate storm proof tent. I got caught in an extended very cold downpour last year and got a little wet and cold. Don't want to do it again.

This was sorta hashed out in the climbing forum. One point a friend of mine, who's an Awahnee fan brought up, was that two folk can suit up whilst sittin' in the Awahnee by just unzipping the door/wall (side by each). That'd be an advantage especially if you were putting on overboots and crampons (ie, you wouldn't have to wait for your partner to get all the way out of the tent).

Brian in SLC

11:38 a.m. on March 5, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Thanks,
Fred

The Awahnee is a bombproof tent....but it's single wall. It's ment for high altitude freezing DRY conditions. When not in windy condition it's very difficult to ventilate well, especially when it's pooring down (at the time you need ventilation the most). To ventilate, you must open up the tent (at least two openings, one near the bottom and one near the top in opposite side of the tent. You must create a draft). It's breathable...but much less than needed and almost not at all when the outside walls are saturate by water.
The moisture inside the tent condenses on the inside poles and slide down the poles to the corners so in the morning you end up with a small puddle of water in each corner. The interior material also absord a lot of humidity. The tent is put up at 6 lbs but after a balmy night it must weight 8 lbs. If you're lucky and it's sunny when you get up it will dry in an hour or two, otherwise, or if you are in a hurry, you will have to pack a lot heavier damp tent.

"..got a little wet and cold" Well, never expect a tent to be warm. You have to rely on a good sleeping bag. If you close down any tent to be "warm" you will get high humidity and much condensation. And it's especially annoying in single wall tent where there's no "outside" fly where the humidity can condense on.
Happy camping
Serge

1:43 a.m. on March 26, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Best tent I have ever used- from the PCT to the AT and all seasons including several full time living winter months in the White Mountain National forest - spend the $ and take good care of it.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply