lightening my load some more question.....

9:16 a.m. on February 26, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

i'm packing my bag this evening, leaving for a backpacking trip at 4:00 tomorrow.

I am down to a final few items that I can eliminate in order to save weight. I'm trying to decide whether it is worth the loss of weight to not take my self inflating mattress. I think my therma rest weighs almost two pounds.

Can one fold the closed cell pads without tearing them? I don't want to haul them on the outside of the pack. It's gonna be pouring and I want the rainfly fitting properly.

I have one that is 72 x 24 x 1/4" and a ridge rest 48 x 24 x 1/2". I like to use both for padding and I think they both only weigh about a pound.

1:36 p.m. on February 26, 2003 (EST)

I don't use my thermarest much any more, mostly because of the weight. You *can* tear a closed cell pad by folding it aggressively, but unless you really mangle it I can't see how this would impact function.

I "line" the inside of my pack with my closed cell pad, before packing anything else. This seems to minimize the bulk, and also gives the pack body a little structure, letting me use a lighter frameless pack with somewhat bigger loads.

B

1:55 p.m. on February 26, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
"Line" the pack with the pad - excellent idea! Thanks. n/m

nm

9:21 p.m. on February 26, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Don't do this with an inflatealble/self inflateing mattress

Or consider that my ultra luxurious 80 inch long 3" (yes three)inch thick down filled Warmlight air mattress only weighs 28 ounces with the stuff sack and
is about as wide as your thermarest at the feet but widens to over two feet at the top...
Jim S (:->)

11:10 a.m. on March 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott

The Thermarest Guidelite 3/4 offers lots of comfort at little weight. It's 1.5 inch thickness will give you a great night sleep and it only weighs 1 lbs. 3 oz. Use your empty pack with extra clothes under your feet at night to make up for the 1/4 of pad not there. This is the best compromise I've found yet.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply