About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Sleeping Pads and Jim S

11:32 a.m. on February 27, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Jim S, please tell more about your wonderful pads. What size does it pack to (yeah, I know poor grammer)? I have another son moving into Boy Scouts and that means I'll give up my bping (3/4) thermarest to him and I need to buy a new one for me. I plan on using it for a BS 50-miler (and I'm the Dad and paying for it so I can get away with it. ;-)

Other than the nekkid women on their website, why the Warmlite? Have you looked at the Exped DAM? Other websites have critisized (sp?) Stevenson construction (leaking around the valve) and their flaky customer service. The Exped appears better made. Why do you think the down filled air mattresses are worth the price in view of the existence of Bill's Walmart blue closed-cell pad at less than a tenth of the price?

Your thoughts please (and other too.)

10:36 a.m. on February 28, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Warmlight pads

Quote:

Jim S, please tell more about your wonderful pads. What size does it pack to (yeah, I know poor grammer)?

Well it packs down to a ball about 8 inches in diameter if that helps. These are delicate and require care. You would maybe pack it next to yer sleeping bag and be careful not to pack it next to yer stove. If you put it under the top flap of you bag then it essentially has no volume.

Quote:

I have another son moving into Boy Scouts and that means I'll give up my bping (3/4) thermarest to him and I need to buy a new one for me. I plan on using it for a BS 50-miler (and I'm the Dad and paying for it so I can get away with it. ;-)

Hey dads deserve comfort. This will deliver. I do carry a closed cell foam to put under it in the winter. I like the zrester cause of how it folds. This is a really comfortable mattress. I just can't sleep on a thermarester anymore - hurts too much.

Quote:

Other than the nekkid women on their website, why the Warmlite? Have you looked at the Exped DAM?

I have not tried out any other down filled mattresses. Mine is about 7 years old and has never failed me. Now my wife will not camp with me unless she gets the Warmlight.
Jim S

1:34 p.m. on February 28, 2003 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Re: Warmlight pads

Quote:

Quote:

Jim S, please tell more about your wonderful pads. What size does it pack to (yeah, I know poor grammer)?

Well it packs down to a ball about 8 inches in diameter if that helps. These are delicate and require care. You would maybe pack it next to yer sleeping bag and be careful not to pack it next to yer stove. If you put it under the top flap of you bag then it essentially has no volume.

Also requires a pump? So, weight is higher for the total system?

I'm still not sure what you gain by filling airspace with down. Wouldn't dead air yield a higher R value?

I probably shouldn't try one...I hate the thought of being more comfortable...(har har)...

Interesting concept though...and whacky website...

Brian in SLC

1:41 p.m. on February 28, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Not sure about the Warmlite, but the Exped DAM stuff sack doubles as its pump so no extra weight. (Kinda of, I think the stuff sack has some foam to stiffen it and make it more efficient as a pump.)

9:49 a.m. on March 1, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

Not sure about the Warmlite, but the Exped DAM stuff sack doubles as its pump so no extra weight. (Kinda of, I think the stuff sack has some foam to stiffen it and make it more efficient as a pump.)

Stuff sack is pump. It is a bitch to pump up. Takes about 20 sacks full of air and maybe ten minutes. If you are trashed at high altitude it is not a fun thing to do, but afterwards it is VERY cushy.

Note: Those girls were photographed in the late 60s. They are as old as most of your grandmothers. I like Bobby but shes like a 1967 playmate fold out - frozen in time forever and maybe even more famous...

I also like my Marmot Fat City pad on top of a full length 1" thermarestor but that weighs in at around 5 pounds. Put it in a thermarestor "chair sack" and you have a camping "couch" but it weighs 4 times as much as the Warmlight.

I think my old REI goretex down bibs, Marmot winter coat, Kelty white phantom pack, and the warmlight DAM are my favorite pieces of camping gear. I would not leave home in the winter without them...

Jim S

7:10 p.m. on March 1, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I would not leave home in the winter without them...

Jim, do you use the Warmlight in the summer also? Or is that too much insulation?

12:42 p.m. on March 2, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Warmlight pad for Summer

Quote:

Quote:

I would not leave home in the winter without them...

Jim, do you use the Warmlight in the summer also? Or is that too much insulation?

Did I mention that I am nearly as old as Bill S? Of course I take it in the summer... It weighs less than an orange 1" thermarest. Not too warm, but in the summer I carry a 24 ounce Western down bag - I think its called an Iriquois. I NEVER get into the summer bag, I merely open it up and pull it over me. Its almost like being in bed at home... Of course ALL of my camping is done above 7,000' in the Sierras where its normally in the 40s at night in the summer.
Sleeping pad thickness = comfort.
I think my thermarest weighs 10 ounces more than the warmlight.
Jim S

11:16 p.m. on March 2, 2003 (EST)
Info on Exped Down Air Mattress

Hi-

For those of you that want more information on the Exped Down Air Mattress, I am currently field testing one. The model that I am testing is the Deluxe model. I don't have the catalog with me at this time, but there are a few specs that I can share with you here.

The deluxe version has a width of 27", a length of 77", and a thickness of around 4", depending of how much you like to inflate it. I just pumped it up using the stuff sack and it took 17 pumps. Time elapsed was 8 minutes. Actually I could have gotten away with 15 or 16 pumps because after the 17th one, it was slightly over-inflated for my tastes.

I used the DAM at a Scout Klondike Derby in February. Temps dropped to zero degrees F in the night. I was toasty warm all through the night, and the comfort was so good, it was comparable to my mattress at home.

The Exped is heavier, particularly the deluxe model, but it is very durable. It has two valves which speed up the deflation process. This particular model weighed 3lbs, 3 oz on my digital scale. Packed dimensions with the stuff sack was 16" long and 7" in diameter. This size could certainly be reduced with a compression sack, or just by strapping it on the back of your pack.

PRO's: Extremely comfortable-Doesn't get any better than this!

CON's: Weight could concern some hikers. And not cheap, but if you want comfort, it's worth it. Deluxe version retails for around$169.00, I think. The regular version retails for about $149.00.

The distributor of this DAM claims that it has an "R" insulation value of about 3 times that of self inflating pads of similar weight, hence this is all you should need in sub-zero temps where sometimes two self inflatable pads are required.

For big guys, you won't find a more comfortable mattress anywhere for the outdoors, in my opinion. I have a big frame and it was so nice not to have my elbows hang off the edge of the pad.

Conclusion: An Exped DAM will certainly have a place in my gear closet.

11:25 p.m. on March 2, 2003 (EST)

Quote:

I'm still not sure what you gain by filling airspace with down. Wouldn't dead air yield a higher R value?

If you don't fill it goose down, you do not have dead air space. The air is circulating inside a typical air mattress and you freeze your buttocks in cold weather. The goose down keeps the air stationary and thus creates the dead air space. The air mattress allows the goose down to maintain its loft underneath you, so you stay warm.

11:27 p.m. on March 2, 2003 (EST)

Quote:

The pump sack that Exped uses is ingenious, with the foam installed in the walls of the stuff sack. Makes it super easy to inflate the stuff sack.

11:36 a.m. on March 3, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Info on Exped Down Air Mattress

Quote:

The deluxe version has a width of 27", a length of 77", and a thickness of around 4", depending of how much you like to inflate it.

Charlie, besides having to rob a bank to buy one, I was concerned with the thickness of it all. With my 3/4 length thermarest backpackers pad, it is thin enough that there is little "dropoff" between pad and no pad. However, with the Exped DAM's 4", it seems you gotta get the wide one just so your whole body stays on (at least my body, I'm 6' at around 200 lbs.) What's your take on this? Is the extra width of 7" worth the Deluxe cost?

Cheers --Paul

2:50 p.m. on March 3, 2003 (EST)
Re: Info on Exped Down Air Mattress

Quote:

Charlie, besides having to rob a bank to buy one, I was concerned with the thickness of it all. With my 3/4 length thermarest backpackers pad, it is thin enough that there is little "dropoff" between pad and no pad. However, with the Exped DAM's 4", it seems you gotta get the wide one just so your whole body stays on (at least my body, I'm 6' at around 200 lbs.) What's your take on this? Is the extra width of 7" worth the Deluxe cost?

Hi Paul- Good question- I am 6'1" and 250 lbs (unfortunately). I would recommend the wider pad for bigger people. We are only talking about an extra $20.00 difference between the two models. I think that larger folks would regret it if they bought the small model in an effort to save money. On the other hand, the smaller model is lighter and more suitable for extended backpacking trips, I think. Sometimes we compromise comfort to cut weight.

I use a Hennessy Hammock in the summertime, and am considering using the DAM on the inside of the hammock in order to stay warm at night. Maybe deflate it to the point to create at least 1" of space between my bum and the hammock canopy.

Hope this helps. I actually slept out in the yard on the DAM last night, and it was again, incredibly comfortable. Charlie

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply