Rain and the Eureka Zeus 2 Exo tent......

11:24 a.m. on March 3, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Whilist on my trip this last weekend, it rained constantly the last two days of a four day trip.

After seeing how the Zeus performed, I certainly would not buy one!

Even with the seams properly sealed, there were pools of water in the tent leaking in from the floor/wall corners and the biggest problem was that the top vent collapsed shut under the weight of the wet nylon, causing a lot of condensation inside. A stick had to be placed in the vent to keep it open.

My five year old $59.95 Camp Trails White Lake tent stayed dryer than the Zeus.

5:27 p.m. on March 3, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Whilist on my trip this last weekend, it rained constantly the last two days of a four day trip.

Ed, A tarp used over the tent is the best way for me. This keeps the tent dry and also gives me a little vestibule to keep gear out of the rain. It always rains when I go camping! I got a lightweight one from campmor that has ties in several places so it can be used in several styles - quite versatile I thought. It can even be used as shelter if you don't want to take a tent.

Hikergirl

6:08 a.m. on March 4, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
That is not the intended design of this particular tent.....

it is designed to be used as a light weight, freestanding, single wall tent. Supposedly it is storm proof and supposedly well ventilated.

Perhaps my intention of this post isn't clearly written.... I am just sharing my friends experience with his Zeus tent. I have seen it did not perform as advertised. I would not recommend this tent to anyone considering a new tent.

I do have a tarp that I suspend over my hammock when it rains. I am always perfectly dry - even in severe tropical storms. Never leave home without it!

2:54 p.m. on March 4, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
intended design of this particular tent

Hi Ed and Hikergirl
I would be seriously PO'd if I had to pitch a tarp over my tent to stay dry. I guess you can only even consider this below tree line. What would 20 mph winds (common during rain) do to the tarp? How about 50 mph gusts?

Point is - a huge amount of the new tents for sale are total garbage hidden in specifications that matter little. People are so into saving half a pound that they forget their tent is supposed to be a warm dry haven in bad weather.

If you don't mind getting wet, and you're too poor to buy a decent tent, go without a tent and go home when it rains.

I depend on my gear in extreme circumstances and I have top of the line gear because of that. In the climbing section people don't whine about tents failing (no offense) they know their lives depend on their tents and they buy good ones.
Jim S

5:35 p.m. on March 4, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Ok, exactly what are you trying to tell me here?

Man, I write a review and I get lectured way off context! (am I? I'm having a real pissy day and not quite sure)

let me state for the record....the tent was not mine!

As I said in my original post, I was perfectly dry but my buddy was damp in a tent that was advertised as lightweight, good ventilation and a typical storm proof Eureka.

I'm stating to the world: "world, don't believe what Eureka wants you to believe with this tent!"

By the way, when I pitch my tarp (20 yards away from the tent)that tarp ain't going anywhere! I have been camping in some pretty bad Floridian tropical storms and stayed under cover lying perfectly dry in my hammock.

But hey Jim, thanks for the input. No, I don't want a warmlight sleeping pad.

6:41 p.m. on March 4, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Err - actually I was agreeing with you...

Quote:

Yup

Quote:

As I said in my original post, I was perfectly dry but my buddy was damp in a tent that was advertised as lightweight, good ventilation and a typical storm proof Eureka.

Yup

Quote:

I'm stating to the world: "world, don't believe what Eureka wants you to believe with this tent!"

Yup

Quote:

By the way, when I pitch my tarp (20 yards away from the tent)that tarp ain't going anywhere! I have been camping in some pretty bad Floridian tropical storms and stayed under cover lying perfectly dry in my hammock.

Ok - below the tree line.

Quote:

Nope

JimS

6:44 p.m. on March 4, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Err - I was agreeing with you... (;->)

Quote:

You said that.

Quote:

Yup

Quote:

Yup

Quote:

Ok - below the tree line.

What I am saying is MOST of the new cheap light tents are somewhat less than advertised and you can't believe any of it.
Jim S

6:15 a.m. on March 5, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Ok. 10-4., gotcha........

Sorry, it was a REAL pissy day.

4:49 p.m. on March 5, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Ok. 10-4., gotcha........

I'm still new to this backpacking as you know. I did not mean to offend you Ed with the tarp response. I should have kept my mouth shut on this subject.:0>

5:01 p.m. on March 5, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
No, No, No!.............

Please, I'm Sorry! You didn't offend me in the least. I even appreciate you giving me some suggestions.

I think I may have had an outburst of male PMS there and Took it out on the BB.
For some reason, I was thinking folks weren't following my train of thought. Hell, I can't follow my train of thought.

4:01 p.m. on March 6, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: No, No, No!.............

It's o.k., Ed. Everything's cool my friend.

6:05 a.m. on March 7, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
I'm glad to hear that. Thanks. n/m

nm

8:23 p.m. on March 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Ed, I live near the Eureka/JWA outlet and purchased a Zeus from the factory for a mere pittance. I asked about damp NE weather and The clerks (they have been working there many years and are quite knowledgeable) were very specific that the tent does not performa as well in the NE as it does in the dry NW. they recommend carrying a small camp towel to wipe off condensation - And they were not hiding that fact from anyone.. I am sorry your friend had a miserable time. I think that for the most part, JWA has many good products, but at times, it comes down to the user being knowledeable enough to know what will work and what won't. Whiel these store clerks are extremely knowledgeable, most aren't and probably wouldn't volunteer specific knowledge of a single wall tent in the damp NE or SE.(that's to say if they even knew)

Quote:

Even with the seams properly sealed, there were pools of water in the tent leaking in from the floor/wall corners and the biggest problem was that the top vent collapsed shut under the weight of the wet nylon, causing a lot of condensation inside. A stick had to be placed in the vent to keep it open.

7:10 p.m. on May 14, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

What tent should I get?

Hey, I stumbled on this message board. I was thinking of getting a Eureka Zeus 2 Exo Tent, as I'm only 100 pounds and thought a lightweight tent would be easiest to carry. Backpacker magazine said it kept them dry, but if you guys are saying otherwise... would you have any suggestions for a good lightweight tent that actually keeps you dry? Send me an email if you do. Thanks.

Quote:

Man, I write a review and I get lectured way off context! (am I? I'm having a real pissy day and not quite sure)

11:29 a.m. on May 22, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Whew, glad I stumbled across this. I WAS considering buying the zeus in attempting to lighten up from my Kelty vortex. I had narrowed down (in order of preference after zeus) to Mountain H. PCT2, Mountain H. Waypoint and a SD clip flashlight. Any pearls of wisdom you can offer? I hike with my 10 y.o. primarily in the cumberland plateau, smokies, and n. alabama (i.e. never above tree line). Thanks.

1:23 p.m. on May 28, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: What tent should I get?

At 100 pounds, the MSR Zoid 2 is a great tent. Lightweight and it will keep you dry.

Quote:

Hey, I stumbled on this message board. I was thinking of getting a Eureka Zeus 2 Exo Tent, as I'm only 100 pounds and thought a lightweight tent would be easiest to carry. Backpacker magazine said it kept them dry, but if you guys are saying otherwise... would you have any suggestions for a good lightweight tent that actually keeps you dry? Send me an email if you do. Thanks.

Quote:

Quote:

10:16 p.m. on June 7, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Yep, I too bought a Zeus and it is like sleeping in a rainforest in wet weather. This tent is very light, but is clearly a "fair weather" tent and probably fine in relatively low humidity environments. But in the Midwest, NE or SE, you will get wet from rain. With 2 people in it, the ventilation is not adequate to handle condensation either. I'm now buying an REI Half-Dome Plus 2.

3:08 p.m. on June 19, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: What tent should I get?

Quote:

At 100 pounds, the MSR Zoid 2 is a great tent. Lightweight and it will keep you dry.

orion:
I have also read the tent reviews from backpacker magazine and decided to get the eureka zeus 2 exo. After reading these posts, I don't think that will happen.
I was also interested in the msr zoid 2, but its vestibule space did not impress me.
My only purpose for a tent is shelter; shelter from the wind and rain for myself, a guest and our gear, and shelter from biting insects while I sleep. If it is not raining and the bugs are not biting, I sleep under the stars.
So I am looking for a compact, lightweight, 2 person, 3 season tent with good ventilation, water tight vestibule(s) large enough to fit 2 large packs, boots and still have enough room to squeeze in and out. Oh yeah and completely waterproof!
If you have any thoughts, anything at all, please email me. It would be greatly apreciated. Thank you!

orion_110@yahoo.com

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply