Solitaire vs Clark

9:28 p.m. on March 9, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. mikec him, mikechim

I have both the Eureka Solitaire and the Kelty Clark and was wondering which was a better choice for solobackpacking (yeah I know I should just use a tarp or a true bivy but hey what you gonna do).
Price is a non issue as I already own both of them and got them cheap (whichever one I don't keep I'll probably sell on ebay). Looking for recomendations from people who either have tried both, know alot about both, have read reviews on both, etc.

Thanks

11:31 a.m. on March 11, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
You say you own both tents.........

so which one do YOU like best? Since you already have the tents, I think you ought to field test them both and see for yourself.

I once owned the Euraka Gossamer. It sure was light, and water tight. The Kelty seems to be pretty much the same tent.

I got to the point where being a contortionist to put your clothes on inside the tent when it was raining was no longer fun.

11:08 p.m. on March 12, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. mikec him, mikechim
Re: You say you own both tents.........

Quote:

so which one do YOU like best? Since you already have the tents, I think you ought to field test them both and see for yourself.

I could field test them both and in fact I've considered just keeping both of them, however if I do field test them i can't sell them on Ebay as NEW which means less $$ and as a struggling student more $$ = more money to spend on gas for backpacking trips. As or right now I think I'm leaning towards the kelty, I've read the solitaire tends to leak, but the full mesh would be nice.

6:09 a.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Dude! Do not take a tent out on a camping trip

that you haven't tested to see if it leaks or not!

It's been my experience that people are not going to E-bay to purchase new items - there are much better deals available elsewhere if you do the research.

My Gossamer was pretty much the same tent as your solitaire. The Gossamer did not leak at all after being properly seamed sealed.

Good luck.

9:06 a.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott

Sell them both and get a 'Squall' tarptent at www.tarptent.com. It weighs 1.5 lbs and has all the comforts of a tent, ie: sewn-in floor and bug netting. This is a great shelter at a low weight and low price.

12:35 p.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Tarptents

Quote:

get a 'Squall' tarptent

Have you used this tent? Any condensation problems with being a single walled tent? Do you still need a bivy sack to protect your bag in such an open tent design? Has the maker (Henry Shire?) worked out the delivery backlog problems? Finally, has the maker announced the "new" tent that was promised for the Spring?

5:07 p.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
....like, totally...

Quote:

that you haven't tested to see if it leaks or not!

Show of hands...who has tested a new tent to see if it leaks prior to using...?

Not me (not sayin' folks shouldn't, but, I never "test" a tent prior to use, by what, hosin' it down with water?)...

Quote:

It's been my experience that people are not going to E-bay to purchase new items - there are much better deals available elsewhere if you do the research.

My experience is just the opposite. If you listed the tent as new but just hosed down with water to see if it leaked, you never know...folk might still pay good money for it. Amazing what stuff sells for there...

Brian in SLC

10:00 p.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott
Re: Tarptents

Yes, I've used this tent. No condensation problems other that what would be deemed 'reasonable' the sane as what I've had with my double-wall tent. I would imagine a bivy sack would be overkill.. and possibly just add more condensation. The tent is very breathable and there's quite a bit of ventillation with this tent. I trust it so much I use my down bag in this thing. Yes, I have the new '03 model and I've never used the older one. He is a bit backlogged on orders, but it's a reasonable wait considering this is arguable the best shelter on the market. 1.5 lbs, about 35 sq. ft. and I use my Leki trekking pole as the front pole to save 2 oz! Go get this thing and find out what real ultralight is all about.

11:46 p.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
like, totally...fer-sure NOT

Quote:

Show of hands...who has tested a new tent to see if it leaks prior to using...?

I guess I KNOW when I take a tent out that it will not leak cause I buy good tents and seal em up with seam-grip. Why should I test it?
Jim S

6:12 a.m. on March 14, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
just an anal thing I guess....

I always test me tents for leaks after sealing the little darlings and before shoving 'em into the pack. I just like to be sure.

I also wash my underdrawers before I wear 'em the first time.

6:25 a.m. on March 14, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Matt J, MattJ
Re: just an anal thing I guess....

Which reminds me of couple of gentelmen I met in Africa who boasted how waterproof and solid their gear is. One of them was especially loud about his $800 Gortex shell. He said that at first he couldn't belive all the wonderful things about it so he decided to wear it under his shower for half an hour. And only after that test he slept all right on the purchase.

9:59 p.m. on May 16, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Yes, I've used this tent. No condensation problems other that what would be deemed 'reasonable' the sane as what I've had with my double-wall tent. I would imagine a bivy sack would be overkill.. and possibly just add more condensation. The tent is very breathable and there's quite a bit of ventillation with this tent. I trust it so much I use my down bag in this thing. Yes, I have the new '03 model and I've never used the older one. He is a bit backlogged on orders, but it's a reasonable wait considering this is arguable the best shelter on the market. 1.5 lbs, about 35 sq. ft. and I use my Leki trekking pole as the front pole to save 2 oz! Go get this thing and find out what real ultralight is all about.

10:11 p.m. on May 16, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

i'm interested in Henry Shire's tarp tents but haven't a clue where to get any info. here in okla i have never heard of them. what is the website for them. I tried several possibilities without the desired results.How about some help!

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply