layering

1:58 a.m. on March 12, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Just bought MTN Hardwear Ethereal FTX shell. Was curious about fleece layering? Initial use will be in Alaska for six months hanging out on ocean cliffs watching seabirds. Hopefully will be used for winter camping in future. Should I get windstopping fleece, or thermalpro, or does it matter? Appreciate advice.

7:34 a.m. on March 12, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

If I was to be near the Alaskan shoreline for months, Id have a variety of gear for a variety of weather. In addition to the fancy Goretex, I'd have a fleece vest, a 200 weight and 300 weight fleece in addition to various long underwear combo's. Any of the fleeces can be windbloc. I can see using it on a mild day (40-50) where the wind is blowing and you don't need/want the Gortex coat on. My advice, if your buying, get windbloc and another fleece. If you already have several, no need to buy a windbloc.

11:01 a.m. on March 12, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Ian

if you're just going to stand at one place, it's best if you get R300 fleece (it traps more body heat, but not as breathable as r100 & 200). You might want to invest in a down vest or jacket also. Windstopper fleece is fine, but your FTX shell is already windproof, unless you want to wear the windstopper by itself.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply