whitegas

3:03 a.m. on June 2, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

hi,
six years ago, i did a hiking tour in canada. for this hiking tour i bought in calgary a campging stove. it`s working with whitgas. i bought also a bottle with whitegas and it was working fine. but know i`m back in germany and nowone can help me with "whitegas".
Can someone tell me please, if whitegas is the same gas, you`re using in the lighter (Feuerzeugbenzin), too.
No one here in the shops could help me with the word "whitegas".

Thanks chris

11:36 a.m. on June 2, 2003 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts
Fuel names website

Look in the "Fuel Names" website - http://www.inet.net.au/~mbuckler/fuel/index/html

Be careful that you do not use autogas or avgas unless the stove specifically mentions it. The additives will clog the burner jet quite rapidly, and if there is lead (tetraethyl lead compound) or MTBE as an additive, the fumes can be quite poisonous. It has been a number of years since I was in Germany, but if I recall correctly, the name was benzin or maybe kocherbenzin. I am not sure about feuerzeugbenzin, but if by "lighter", you mean a liquid fuel lantern, it should be the same. "Lighter" in North America usually refers to a cigarette lighter (although those are mostly butane-filled these days). The most common stove fuel in North America is sold by Coleman as "Coleman Stove Fuel", and by some others as "camp stove fuel" with the company's name appended (e.g., MSR camp stove fuel). It is mostly a mixture of naptha compounds (the chemical name naptha, which is a ring hydrocardon). The term "white gas" most properly refers to a mixture of hexane, heptane, and occasionally some octane.

11:53 a.m. on June 2, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

http://ultralight-hiking.com/fuelnames.html
I couldn't connect to Bill S's link to check if this is the same site. I also have no experience on this subject. Good luck.

12:03 p.m. on June 2, 2003 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts
Copy of Buckler's site

Quote:

http://ultralight-hiking.com/fuelnames.html

Les,

It is a copy, apparently, of Mike's site. It didn't appear to be a reflector, so it might not be as up to date. Mike is pretty good about continuously adding new information and pursuing useful data.

-- The Old GreyBearded One

3:35 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Its the same fuel that's used in "gasoline" coleman stoves, but not the newer multi-fuel stoves which also permit automotive gasoline.

Its my understanding that "Whitegas" refered to gasoline without additives. It used to be common at marinas for use in two-cycle outboards years ago. Naptha is or must be some kind of "whitegas", and burns fairly clean but I've never tried anything from a can labeled Naptha so can't attest to it.

Hopefully you can find an equivalent of Coleman Fuel or Camp Stove Fuel there.

Good luck,

Clay

6:37 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

Quote:

Its my understanding that "Whitegas" refered to gasoline without additives.

That's what several people on this site and others have noted several times. See Mike Buckler's website on fuel names.

Quote:

.... Naptha is or must be some kind of "whitegas", and burns fairly clean but I've never tried anything from a can labeled Naptha so can't attest to it.

No. White gas is a mixture of linear carbon chain compounds. Naptha is a mixture of ring compounds, closely related to benzene (not the German "benzin", but the chemical compound that is a ring of 6 carbon atoms tied to 6 hydrogen atoms, or C6H6, which looks like it might be an unsaturated form of hexane, except hexane is linear and benzene is a ring). The exact formulation of Coleman fuel is supposed to be a trade secret, although they have to publish it to get certain certifications. Buckler's website has the formulation direct from Coleman, and you can get it directly, as I did.

A side note - apparently liquid fuel camping stoves are restricted in some parts of Scandinavia and cannot be sold there, even though Optimus, Svea, and Primus started there. The reasoning is that they are too dangerous (alcohol stoves and compressed gas stoves are apparently ok).

12:47 p.m. on June 6, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/rcarchive/37/2002/09/3/56709

As you can see from the above URL, folks with different past times have the same question(s). And like them, the topic will continue to be rehashed.

Quote:

Quote:

That's what several people on this site and others have noted several times. See Mike Buckler's website on fuel names.

Quote:

.... Naptha is or must be some kind of "whitegas", and burns fairly clean but I've never tried anything from a can labeled Naptha so can't attest to it.

No. White gas is a mixture of linear carbon chain compounds. Naptha is a mixture of ring compounds, closely related to benzene (not the German "benzin", but the chemical compound that is a ring of 6 carbon atoms tied to 6 hydrogen atoms, or C6H6, which looks like it might be an unsaturated form of hexane, except hexane is linear and benzene is a ring). The exact formulation of Coleman fuel is supposed to be a trade secret, although they have to publish it to get certain certifications. Buckler's website has the formulation direct from Coleman, and you can get it directly, as I did.

A side note - apparently liquid fuel camping stoves are restricted in some parts of Scandinavia and cannot be sold there, even though Optimus, Svea, and Primus started there. The reasoning is that they are too dangerous (alcohol stoves and compressed gas stoves are apparently ok).

12:54 p.m. on June 6, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: whitegas-another group, same discussion

http://www.sonic.net/~raptor/trakman/mgupdate.html
From RC modelers, to horticulture, to backpacking.......who'd thought it?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1:00 p.m. on June 12, 2003 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts
question of appropriateness

Quote:

http://www.sonic.net/~raptor/trakman/mgupdate.html
From RC modelers, to horticulture, to backpacking.......who'd thought it?

Except that the "horticulture" is of a particular kind that is of questionable taste and appropriateness for this forum. Remember that minors who may not have developed a full understanding of the consequences of this type of "horticulture" read this site.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply