Looking for tent

11:33 a.m. on June 26, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Any advice out there as to what is a great "family" tent? We want a roomy tent that doesn't leak! Would love any awning, but not necessary, a dry tent is most important.

Thanks!!!

12:26 p.m. on June 26, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Assuming that you want a tent for car camping, I highly recommend the Eureka! line of tents. A little more expensive than the Mega store cheapies but will also last longer and better built. I think they are considered miidle of the line gear. I own a Equinox for 6 people but its really great for a family of four with gear in there with you. Enough room to stand up. Free-standing.

11:31 p.m. on June 26, 2003 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

The Eureka! tents are good, but if the budget is a concern, think the newer Coleman tents are worth a look.

The ones with their 'weathertec' system have a 'bathtub' style floor that eliminates the perimeter seams at the ground. Thats a major point for leaking. For campground camping I like a tent with the heavy PE floor material.

Also, look for one with good rain fly coverage, as full as possible. Thats another key point in a dry tent. And look for tie-down points to help anchor in the wind.

Enjoy the hunt!

6:21 a.m. on June 27, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
JC, one thing to keep in mind......

That even a very expensive, brand new tent may leak if you don't seam the seals before you use it.

If you alraedy have a family tent and want to replace it cause it's leaking, you could restore the storm worthiness of it.

Little seam sealer, re-coat and Kiwi Camp Dry can do wonders.

5:46 p.m. on November 12, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Check out Tarptent.com I bought a cloubburst from them it ways 2lbs for 2 people and I love its design, good head room.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply