Hey Stove Gurus

3:59 p.m. on July 11, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

REI outlet has a sale going on its website for two types of the Primus Alpine cartridge stoves (the micro and another one that escapes my memory)for about $28.00 if you use your one-time 20% discount on the sale price.

Stove Guys - I'm looking for something a little easier than my Whisperlite for short weekend trips and mostly boiling water, though some simmering, three season oxygen-rich camping for solo or up to four people. It now seems that there are so many choices for cartridge stoves that they are all fairly fungible. Will this stove suit my needs as well as any of the others??

4:05 p.m. on July 11, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Follow-up

Quote:

(the micro and another one that escapes my memory)

The stoves are the Primus Alpine Power Cook HPS and the Primus Alpin Micro with Piezo Ignitor both for $34.93 with an one item additional 20% off.

6:23 p.m. on July 11, 2003 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,313 forum posts
HPS and Micro

Either would be ok for your stated needs, although the HPS would be better for your 4-person outings. As a general rule for cartridge stoves, the larger burners provide higher max heat output, while the smaller ones are (surprise!) generally lighter weight. You can get ones that are only 2 or 3 ounces, but they have longer boil times and are not as suitable for the 4-person trips. Primus makes generally good quality stoves, so you should be satisfied with either.

6:33 p.m. on July 11, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Stove Guru - YO

Quote:

REI outlet has a sale going on its website for two types of the Primus Alpine cartridge stoves (the micro and another one that escapes my memory)for about $28.00 if you use your one-time 20% discount on the sale price.

Stove Guys - I'm looking for something a little easier than my Whisperlite for short weekend trips and mostly boiling water, though some simmering, three season oxygen-rich camping for solo or up to four people. It now seems that there are so many choices for cartridge stoves that they are all fairly fungible. Will this stove suit my needs as well as any of the others??

Ok I printed out the data sheets from REI. The first thing you may notice is that the Alpine power cooker weighs 6.5 oz with piezo and the Alpine micro weighs 4.5, but wait- the power cooker boils that pan of water in 3 minutes and the micro in 4. Now if there's just you and its nice weather and you're just boiling water for coffee or instant oatmeal and you have a small pan, go for the lighter one, but if as you say, you may be boiling water for 4 people then maybe the hotter stove is better. If you use it in cold weather in place of your whisperlite - which isn't a winter stove, the 15,000 btu output of the power cooker could melt snow admirably if you keep the fuel cannister warm. I like 15,000 BTU stoves for cold weather but I don't carry one that hot - generally - in the summer.
Perhaps more importantly is the reason for the extra 2 oz. The power cooker has a more stable base (rated by REI as excellent stability)- which could save a pan of noodles or whatever you eat... AND the power cooker has a LARGER BURNER. The Micro is rated as (Fair pot stability). Its Small burner is ok for heating water but not so good for simmering because the flame shape is too small. A larger burner will more evenly heat that food without scorching it. If you are serious about cooking - get the one with the larger burner.
So all things considered, I'd buy the Power cooker for more heat output, better simmering, better stability and better cold weather perormance.
I also note that neither has a windscreen. A windscreen like the one for your Whisperlite will greatly improve the "In the wind" performance of your stove and keep the fuel warm in the winter, but it could cause an explosion and schrapnel as Bill has often alluded to. A reflector on top of the fuel bottle and an aluminum wind break around the pan/burner (Or a heatexchanger that weighs 8 oz) will greatly improve heat transfer, but KEEP that fuel bottle COOL. That said bottled gas stoves with REMOTE fuel botles avoid the problem of overheating the fuel- so you can use the windscreen without worrying about fuel bottle heating up. My own favorite is the Coleman Xtreme - 15,000 BTU, remote fuel bottle - and a truly great winter stove, only it weighs 10 ounces and only uses coleman X fuel. Again - I use a stove like the micro a lot in the summer to heat my coffee but I often have to make a windbreak of rocks around it if there is any wind at all or if its sort of cold. On a chilly morning the X stove will outperform any of them - even an XGK! I've use my coleman Xtreme at 5 below in a 50 MPH wind. Had to keep it turned down a bit cause the flames rose above the top of the pan with a Whisperlight aluminum foil windbreak wrapped around it!
Good luck. buy the power cooker or an Xtreme.
Jim S

6:35 p.m. on July 11, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Simuposting

Bill and I posted at the same time! You can see that we pretty much agree on cartridge stoves - our own favorites have remote fuel bottles and larger burners.
Jim S

6:31 p.m. on July 13, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
I ued a similar stove this weekend

Paul,
I just got back from a trip to the Sierras and I took my Markill bivy stove which is essentially identical to the ALPINE MICRO only maybe a tad higher max heat output, but it simmers well (That is the flame control goes way down). I use Titanim pans (which are thin and incredible conductors) but I don't think thin stainless evens out the heat much more. As soon as I put the sauce in the pan it started to boil and sputter in the middle and I had to stir constantly, but it is great for heating coffee water. Get the larger burner for any real cooking and use tiny burners only for heating water and saving 2 ounces.
Jim S

5:50 p.m. on July 14, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks Stove Gurus

I ordered the Primus Alpine Power Cook model based on your input. I needed something that would handle cooking for up to 4 or 5 persons because our Troop usually has a "patrol" of leaders and we split up the cooking duties. Just looking for another cannister stove because I can't find 106 size cannisters for the Camping Gaz "Globe Trotter" anymore.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply