PolarShield Tent

2:00 p.m. on October 21, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

We have been looking for a better tent to replace our Wal-Mart clearance special that has served us well enough for the last 3 years. Our search is presently being done on ebay. So far, we have only been in state parks, etc. but we do like to camp in spring/fall. If we find the right tent, we might even tackle some mild winter outings. Our main concern is staying dry and that it's tall enough to allow dressing inside (60" or so at least). We don't have unlimited funds but love to camp. I've read the equipment reviews and know to stay away from the Hillary tents that are listed on ebay right now. Does anyone out there have a PolarShield Tent? There is a 5 person model (XT-13) that looks interesting but I can't find mention of them or the brand anywhere online. I paid $15 for the tent we have now and this is a little out of our league. Any help would be appreciated.

7:59 p.m. on October 21, 2003 (EDT)
MODERATOR
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I'm no expert on tents, but I have spent a lot of time looking for one, both in stores and online, including E-Bay-so here's my two cents. First of all, I know there are few guys here who are backcountry experts so they might know what model to recommend.

As you have found out, tents come in all shapes, sizes, purposes, qualities and prices, so first of all, I would ask myself, what do you really need and what can you afford? Try not to get "sticker shock" thinking of your $15 tent that lasted 3 years. If you need a tent for 5 people you can stand up in, that eliminates most of them right there. Are you car camping or backpacking? I would think if you are car camping, you're not too far from the car so if you had a catastrophic failure of the tent (big rip, broken poles, etc.) you could take shelter in the car, otherwise you need a tent you can trust not to come apart if the weather gets a bit rough and that is your only shelter. Go find a camping or sporting goods store that has tents on display-even if they are too much for you, look at them anyway. There is nothing like actually sitting in one to get the feel of how big it is, color, etc. If you can't do that, look at the specs and draw an outline on the floor with string or something like that to see how big it really is.
Nothing wrong with buying on E-Bay-I bought my tent and a bunch of other stuff there. It looked a bit bigger in the picture, but I bought it because it had all the features I wanted and was similar to other brands I had seen in person. I don't think I'd buy another tent online without actually seeing it in person somewhere first, but that's just me. Plus, if you see it in person, you can get an idea of how hard it is to put up (imagine doing it in the rain).

I don't know what your budget is or how much experience you have with E-Bay, but I learned the hard way to be careful about bidding too much just because I wanted something. I don't do that anymore. I've learned that with gear and other mass-produced stuff, everything shows up again sooner or later or something better comes along. I've seen people pay more than retail for stuff I could get on sale at a local store. Also, look on some of the camping gear websites-there are tons of them-LL Bean, EMS,REI, SnowLeopard, Sierra Trader (lots of closeouts), and Campmor are just a few that sell lots of everything, including less expensive tents and often offer deals-EMS and REI have an outlet site too. Sometimes you can find a great tent at a big discount because it's last year's model-so what, if the price is right. Try this one-www.thetentstore.com-they have wide selection including family tents. Good luck.

Quote:

We have been looking for a better tent to replace our Wal-Mart clearance special that has served us well enough for the last 3 years. Our search is presently being done on ebay. So far, we have only been in state parks, etc. but we do like to camp in spring/fall. If we find the right tent, we might even tackle some mild winter outings. Our main concern is staying dry and that it's tall enough to allow dressing inside (60" or so at least). We don't have unlimited funds but love to camp. I've read the equipment reviews and know to stay away from the Hillary tents that are listed on ebay right now. Does anyone out there have a PolarShield Tent? There is a 5 person model (XT-13) that looks interesting but I can't find mention of them or the brand anywhere online. I paid $15 for the tent we have now and this is a little out of our league. Any help would be appreciated.

12:28 a.m. on October 22, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi Tom, Thanks so much for your time and input. I do know that our $15 special was a fluke and we'll have to invest quite a bit more this time around. We are definitely car camping so it's not necessarily an issue of survival. As for the size we need, I just am tired of hurling myself over him, off the air mattress, past the soaking wet with condensation walls, into the heavy dew with bare feet at 4 AM to go to the bathroom (How's THAT for a glamorous image?!). It's only him and I. We don't need a 5 person tent, we just want room to stand where there isn't mattress, a little extra room for our clothes, and have a place to take off our shoes. I've been reading the dimensions of the tents and picturing them in relation to my closet and 2 bathrooms (since those are tent-sized dimensions... and trying to read between the lines when they discuss features.

Yes, I know all about the ebay bids. I have approx. 15 transactions under my belt and none have gone bad on me. I'm a pretty cautious shopper and do my homework (which is why I'm here). Some tents come up with regularity.... and I've seen the same model go for $31 and over $200 within a week of each other. When I started doing research on the various brands offered on Ebay, I learned Hillary tents have been getting pretty bad reviews all the way around, so we'll just steer clear of them. We want to stay under $100 if possible even though I know that's not going to be easy. You're right, mass produced items always come available and I believe if we are patient, the right tent will be there for us.

I live in a rural area in the midwest, so tents and camping supplies just aren't on display at this time of year in local stores. If there are specialty stores in my area that have tents on display, I'm not aware of them. I will definitely look at the websites you mentioned though.

I'm going to hold out hope that someone out there owns or has heard of PolarShield tents. If you have time, go look on ebay. They have two models. I swear, the 6 person tent looks like a giant loaf of bread, it's very strange (at least to me). I honestly think I'd be embarrassed to use it. The 5 person model, though, has our interest.

Thanks again Tom for all your comments....

Sheila

Quote:

I'm no expert on tents, but I have spent a lot of time looking for one, both in stores and online, including E-Bay-so here's my two cents. First of all, I know there are few guys here who are backcountry experts so they might know what model to recommend.

As you have found out, tents come in all shapes, sizes, purposes, qualities and prices, so first of all, I would ask myself, what do you really need and what can you afford? Try not to get "sticker shock" thinking of your $15 tent that lasted 3 years. If you need a tent for 5 people you can stand up in, that eliminates most of them right there. Are you car camping or backpacking? I would think if you are car camping, you're not too far from the car so if you had a catastrophic failure of the tent (big rip, broken poles, etc.) you could take shelter in the car, otherwise you need a tent you can trust not to come apart if the weather gets a bit rough and that is your only shelter. Go find a camping or sporting goods store that has tents on display-even if they are too much for you, look at them anyway. There is nothing like actually sitting in one to get the feel of how big it is, color, etc. If you can't do that, look at the specs and draw an outline on the floor with string or something like that to see how big it really is.
Nothing wrong with buying on E-Bay-I bought my tent and a bunch of other stuff there. It looked a bit bigger in the picture, but I bought it because it had all the features I wanted and was similar to other brands I had seen in person. I don't think I'd buy another tent online without actually seeing it in person somewhere first, but that's just me. Plus, if you see it in person, you can get an idea of how hard it is to put up (imagine doing it in the rain).

I don't know what your budget is or how much experience you have with E-Bay, but I learned the hard way to be careful about bidding too much just because I wanted something. I don't do that anymore. I've learned that with gear and other mass-produced stuff, everything shows up again sooner or later or something better comes along. I've seen people pay more than retail for stuff I could get on sale at a local store. Also, look on some of the camping gear websites-there are tons of them-LL Bean, EMS,REI, SnowLeopard, Sierra Trader (lots of closeouts), and Campmor are just a few that sell lots of everything, including less expensive tents and often offer deals-EMS and REI have an outlet site too. Sometimes you can find a great tent at a big discount because it's last year's model-so what, if the price is right. Try this one-www.thetentstore.com-they have wide selection including family tents. Good luck.

Quote:

We have been looking for a better tent to replace our Wal-Mart clearance special that has served us well enough for the last 3 years. Our search is presently being done on ebay. So far, we have only been in state parks, etc. but we do like to camp in spring/fall. If we find the right tent, we might even tackle some mild winter outings. Our main concern is staying dry and that it's tall enough to allow dressing inside (60" or so at least). We don't have unlimited funds but love to camp. I've read the equipment reviews and know to stay away from the Hillary tents that are listed on ebay right now. Does anyone out there have a PolarShield Tent? There is a 5 person model (XT-13) that looks interesting but I can't find mention of them or the brand anywhere online. I paid $15 for the tent we have now and this is a little out of our league. Any help would be appreciated.

2:31 a.m. on October 22, 2003 (EDT)
MODERATOR
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Sheila, Okay, no little backpack tents for you-hehehe. I looked on E-Bay. Those Polarshield tents are strange for several reasons. They are really cheap, which is good, but I'm a bit dubious about the construction. The five man has a cotton liner listed in the specs. I would be concerned that once that got wet from condensation, it would never dry-that's why they always say don't wear cotton when hiking-once it's wet, you're in trouble if its cold. That's why most backpacking tents have a separate rain fly-helps cut down the condensation. Also,it doesn't come with instructions-they're probably in Chinese anyway. The fiberglass poles are older technology and if I am not mistaken, aren't as strong as aluminum. But that may not be an issue for you.
As for the Hillary, I only saw a couple of reviews-the big complaint appears to be leaking at the seams. Most tents, even many expensive ones, will leak unless you use seam sealer (kind of a glue)on them. Some tents (including my EMS tent)have tape on the seams. I haven't tried it in bad weather so don't know how well that works. I sealed the seams on my little tent and it held up fairly well in some pretty heavy rain. It also has a full rain fly that covers it completely so that helps too.

My guess is that unless you find yourselves in some real heavy weather, a reasonable quality dome tent with a complete rainfly and a vestibule for gear (in case of rain)would do fine without spending a huge amount of money. The advantage of buying a "name brand", even used off E-Bay, like I did, is that you can usually find spares, like poles if you break one. Happy hunting.

Quote:

Hi Tom, Thanks so much for your time and input. I do know that our $15 special was a fluke and we'll have to invest quite a bit more this time around. We are definitely car camping so it's not necessarily an issue of survival. As for the size we need, I just am tired of hurling myself over him, off the air mattress, past the soaking wet with condensation walls, into the heavy dew with bare feet at 4 AM to go to the bathroom (How's THAT for a glamorous image?!). It's only him and I. We don't need a 5 person tent, we just want room to stand where there isn't mattress, a little extra room for our clothes, and have a place to take off our shoes. I've been reading the dimensions of the tents and picturing them in relation to my closet and 2 bathrooms (since those are tent-sized dimensions... and trying to read between the lines when they discuss features.

Yes, I know all about the ebay bids. I have approx. 15 transactions under my belt and none have gone bad on me. I'm a pretty cautious shopper and do my homework (which is why I'm here). Some tents come up with regularity.... and I've seen the same model go for $31 and over $200 within a week of each other. When I started doing research on the various brands offered on Ebay, I learned Hillary tents have been getting pretty bad reviews all the way around, so we'll just steer clear of them. We want to stay under $100 if possible even though I know that's not going to be easy. You're right, mass produced items always come available and I believe if we are patient, the right tent will be there for us.

I live in a rural area in the midwest, so tents and camping supplies just aren't on display at this time of year in local stores. If there are specialty stores in my area that have tents on display, I'm not aware of them. I will definitely look at the websites you mentioned though.

I'm going to hold out hope that someone out there owns or has heard of PolarShield tents. If you have time, go look on ebay. They have two models. I swear, the 6 person tent looks like a giant loaf of bread, it's very strange (at least to me). I honestly think I'd be embarrassed to use it. The 5 person model, though, has our interest.

Thanks again Tom for all your comments....

Sheila

Quote:

I'm no expert on tents, but I have spent a lot of time looking for one, both in stores and online, including E-Bay-so here's my two cents. First of all, I know there are few guys here who are backcountry experts so they might know what model to recommend.

As you have found out, tents come in all shapes, sizes, purposes, qualities and prices, so first of all, I would ask myself, what do you really need and what can you afford? Try not to get "sticker shock" thinking of your $15 tent that lasted 3 years. If you need a tent for 5 people you can stand up in, that eliminates most of them right there. Are you car camping or backpacking? I would think if you are car camping, you're not too far from the car so if you had a catastrophic failure of the tent (big rip, broken poles, etc.) you could take shelter in the car, otherwise you need a tent you can trust not to come apart if the weather gets a bit rough and that is your only shelter. Go find a camping or sporting goods store that has tents on display-even if they are too much for you, look at them anyway. There is nothing like actually sitting in one to get the feel of how big it is, color, etc. If you can't do that, look at the specs and draw an outline on the floor with string or something like that to see how big it really is.
Nothing wrong with buying on E-Bay-I bought my tent and a bunch of other stuff there. It looked a bit bigger in the picture, but I bought it because it had all the features I wanted and was similar to other brands I had seen in person. I don't think I'd buy another tent online without actually seeing it in person somewhere first, but that's just me. Plus, if you see it in person, you can get an idea of how hard it is to put up (imagine doing it in the rain).

I don't know what your budget is or how much experience you have with E-Bay, but I learned the hard way to be careful about bidding too much just because I wanted something. I don't do that anymore. I've learned that with gear and other mass-produced stuff, everything shows up again sooner or later or something better comes along. I've seen people pay more than retail for stuff I could get on sale at a local store. Also, look on some of the camping gear websites-there are tons of them-LL Bean, EMS,REI, SnowLeopard, Sierra Trader (lots of closeouts), and Campmor are just a few that sell lots of everything, including less expensive tents and often offer deals-EMS and REI have an outlet site too. Sometimes you can find a great tent at a big discount because it's last year's model-so what, if the price is right. Try this one-www.thetentstore.com-they have wide selection including family tents. Good luck.

Quote:

We have been looking for a better tent to replace our Wal-Mart clearance special that has served us well enough for the last 3 years. Our search is presently being done on ebay. So far, we have only been in state parks, etc. but we do like to camp in spring/fall. If we find the right tent, we might even tackle some mild winter outings. Our main concern is staying dry and that it's tall enough to allow dressing inside (60" or so at least). We don't have unlimited funds but love to camp. I've read the equipment reviews and know to stay away from the Hillary tents that are listed on ebay right now. Does anyone out there have a PolarShield Tent? There is a 5 person model (XT-13) that looks interesting but I can't find mention of them or the brand anywhere online. I paid $15 for the tent we have now and this is a little out of our league. Any help would be appreciated.

6:34 p.m. on October 24, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

Sheila,

After reading this thread I have one reccomendation. Try for a Coleman "X series" tent. Though I hate all "tall family tents" with a passion - I have seen others with these Coleman X tents and they seem reasonable. They have a separate fly that does seem to cover the tent well and they are dome shaped.
Jim S

12:25 p.m. on October 25, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Ken Hall

Sheila,
I do alot of Camping all of it in tents. I too have seen the Polarshield tents on E-Bay. my curiosity has finally gotten the best of me and I am the current High Bidder on one. If I get it I will be sure to post a review of it on this site..
Ken

12:49 a.m. on October 27, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Ken,
We were tempted, very tempted to go for one of the Polar Shields. We bid on one, but it went up over $80 and we bailed. We won a Coleman Phoenix 5 at a very reasonable price. We are still very curious about the PolarShield. I find it hard to believe that there is no information about them anywhere online given how many have been sold through ebay alone. Please do let me (and others) know if you win one. If we hear something positive about it, we may still buy one. It looks like it might be good for colder weather.


Quote:

Sheila,
I do alot of Camping all of it in tents. I too have seen the Polarshield tents on E-Bay. my curiosity has finally gotten the best of me and I am the current High Bidder on one. If I get it I will be sure to post a review of it on this site..
Ken

1:00 a.m. on October 27, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Jim,

Thank you for your input. I am very new to all of this, but I'm assuming the tall tents aren't favorites here because so many of them have short rainflies. Had I seen your letter before we bid, I may not have, but we settled on a Coleman Phoenix5. The price was right at $40 including shipping and it satisfied our requirements. We'll do a thorough job of sealing and waterproofing it and hope for the best. Since our car will be within yards 100 yards of the tent, we have shelter if things break bad on us. I'm sure we can resell it and nearly recover our money if we don't like it.

Thanks again,

Sheila

Quote:

Quote:

Sheila,

After reading this thread I have one reccomendation. Try for a Coleman "X series" tent. Though I hate all "tall family tents" with a passion - I have seen others with these Coleman X tents and they seem reasonable. They have a separate fly that does seem to cover the tent well and they are dome shaped.
Jim S

1:10 a.m. on October 27, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Tom,

Just wanted to drop you one more note and thank you for all of your help. We settled on a Coleman Phoenix 5 that seems big/tall enough for the 2 of us and all our stuff. They are discontinued, but for what we paid on ebay, I think it was worth it. The PolarShield is still of interest to us, but your comments did make us a bit wary of it. If I hear anything positive about them, we may get one in the future. Thanks again.... and I'll let you know if we ever get one of those monster PolarShields (hehe).

Sheila

Quote:

Sheila, Okay, no little backpack tents for you-hehehe. I looked on E-Bay. Those Polarshield tents are strange for several reasons. They are really cheap, which is good, but I'm a bit dubious about the construction. The five man has a cotton liner listed in the specs. I would be concerned that once that got wet from condensation, it would never dry-that's why they always say don't wear cotton when hiking-once it's wet, you're in trouble if its cold. That's why most backpacking tents have a separate rain fly-helps cut down the condensation. Also,it doesn't come with instructions-they're probably in Chinese anyway. The fiberglass poles are older technology and if I am not mistaken, aren't as strong as aluminum. But that may not be an issue for you.
As for the Hillary, I only saw a couple of reviews-the big complaint appears to be leaking at the seams. Most tents, even many expensive ones, will leak unless you use seam sealer (kind of a glue)on them. Some tents (including my EMS tent)have tape on the seams. I haven't tried it in bad weather so don't know how well that works. I sealed the seams on my little tent and it held up fairly well in some pretty heavy rain. It also has a full rain fly that covers it completely so that helps too.

My guess is that unless you find yourselves in some real heavy weather, a reasonable quality dome tent with a complete rainfly and a vestibule for gear (in case of rain)would do fine without spending a huge amount of money. The advantage of buying a "name brand", even used off E-Bay, like I did, is that you can usually find spares, like poles if you break one. Happy hunting.

Quote:

Hi Tom, Thanks so much for your time and input. I do know that our $15 special was a fluke and we'll have to invest quite a bit more this time around. We are definitely car camping so it's not necessarily an issue of survival. As for the size we need, I just am tired of hurling myself over him, off the air mattress, past the soaking wet with condensation walls, into the heavy dew with bare feet at 4 AM to go to the bathroom (How's THAT for a glamorous image?!). It's only him and I. We don't need a 5 person tent, we just want room to stand where there isn't mattress, a little extra room for our clothes, and have a place to take off our shoes. I've been reading the dimensions of the tents and picturing them in relation to my closet and 2 bathrooms (since those are tent-sized dimensions... and trying to read between the lines when they discuss features.

Yes, I know all about the ebay bids. I have approx. 15 transactions under my belt and none have gone bad on me. I'm a pretty cautious shopper and do my homework (which is why I'm here). Some tents come up with regularity.... and I've seen the same model go for $31 and over $200 within a week of each other. When I started doing research on the various brands offered on Ebay, I learned Hillary tents have been getting pretty bad reviews all the way around, so we'll just steer clear of them. We want to stay under $100 if possible even though I know that's not going to be easy. You're right, mass produced items always come available and I believe if we are patient, the right tent will be there for us.

I live in a rural area in the midwest, so tents and camping supplies just aren't on display at this time of year in local stores. If there are specialty stores in my area that have tents on display, I'm not aware of them. I will definitely look at the websites you mentioned though.

I'm going to hold out hope that someone out there owns or has heard of PolarShield tents. If you have time, go look on ebay. They have two models. I swear, the 6 person tent looks like a giant loaf of bread, it's very strange (at least to me). I honestly think I'd be embarrassed to use it. The 5 person model, though, has our interest.

Thanks again Tom for all your comments....

Sheila

Quote:

I'm no expert on tents, but I have spent a lot of time looking for one, both in stores and online, including E-Bay-so here's my two cents. First of all, I know there are few guys here who are backcountry experts so they might know what model to recommend.

As you have found out, tents come in all shapes, sizes, purposes, qualities and prices, so first of all, I would ask myself, what do you really need and what can you afford? Try not to get "sticker shock" thinking of your $15 tent that lasted 3 years. If you need a tent for 5 people you can stand up in, that eliminates most of them right there. Are you car camping or backpacking? I would think if you are car camping, you're not too far from the car so if you had a catastrophic failure of the tent (big rip, broken poles, etc.) you could take shelter in the car, otherwise you need a tent you can trust not to come apart if the weather gets a bit rough and that is your only shelter. Go find a camping or sporting goods store that has tents on display-even if they are too much for you, look at them anyway. There is nothing like actually sitting in one to get the feel of how big it is, color, etc. If you can't do that, look at the specs and draw an outline on the floor with string or something like that to see how big it really is.
Nothing wrong with buying on E-Bay-I bought my tent and a bunch of other stuff there. It looked a bit bigger in the picture, but I bought it because it had all the features I wanted and was similar to other brands I had seen in person. I don't think I'd buy another tent online without actually seeing it in person somewhere first, but that's just me. Plus, if you see it in person, you can get an idea of how hard it is to put up (imagine doing it in the rain).

I don't know what your budget is or how much experience you have with E-Bay, but I learned the hard way to be careful about bidding too much just because I wanted something. I don't do that anymore. I've learned that with gear and other mass-produced stuff, everything shows up again sooner or later or something better comes along. I've seen people pay more than retail for stuff I could get on sale at a local store. Also, look on some of the camping gear websites-there are tons of them-LL Bean, EMS,REI, SnowLeopard, Sierra Trader (lots of closeouts), and Campmor are just a few that sell lots of everything, including less expensive tents and often offer deals-EMS and REI have an outlet site too. Sometimes you can find a great tent at a big discount because it's last year's model-so what, if the price is right. Try this one-www.thetentstore.com-they have wide selection including family tents. Good luck.

Quote:

We have been looking for a better tent to replace our Wal-Mart clearance special that has served us well enough for the last 3 years. Our search is presently being done on ebay. So far, we have only been in state parks, etc. but we do like to camp in spring/fall. If we find the right tent, we might even tackle some mild winter outings. Our main concern is staying dry and that it's tall enough to allow dressing inside (60" or so at least). We don't have unlimited funds but love to camp. I've read the equipment reviews and know to stay away from the Hillary tents that are listed on ebay right now. Does anyone out there have a PolarShield Tent? There is a 5 person model (XT-13) that looks interesting but I can't find mention of them or the brand anywhere online. I paid $15 for the tent we have now and this is a little out of our league. Any help would be appreciated.

5:15 p.m. on November 2, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Ken

Hi All,
Well I did win the bid on the Polarshield tent, and yesterday I set it up in the yard to get a feel for what I just bought so here are my feelings on it.
First off as stated on ebay there are no Instructions. so it took myself and a friend about 20 minutes to set it up.
It was smaller than I expected but still large enough to sleep 6 you first set up the outer tent with no floor then the two side rooms clip in. as for stability it seems pretty stable in wind,trust me I used my backpack leaf blower to test it. I think I will use it most with just the outer shell and no inside rooms.

when I use it for camping I will post another report

see ya
Ken

11:22 a.m. on November 5, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Ken,

Congrats on winning that PolarShield. They seem to be a popular item with the snipers, but we'll give it another shot if we hear good things about it. I saw one go for over $200! We all know most things on ebay can be had at a reasonable price if we lay back and wait.

Thanks for the update. It is beyond me there there is no information about them on the internet, given the number they seem to sell on ebay. It looks like a monster on the listings, so I imagine it's still a good size even if it's not as big as it seems. It appears to be a good place to lay your head down when it's cold outside.

We set up our Coleman the minute it came...lol. Assuming it doesn't leak, it seems to be a very good tent for us. We had a rough time setting it up (probably 30 minutes) because neither of us had set up such a big tent before. It has a screened top in it, so if the rainfly isn't a really good one, we're sunk (literally!) We'll waterproof it to within an inch of it's life and hope for the best. It'll definitely be good for warm weather trips with the screened top. Although it's a 3 season tent, I think we're going to give our mid-November Northern Illinois car trip a try with it (and a tent heater...lol). Since the point of the trip is to view the meteor showers, we won't be going if it rains or snows.

Thanks again for the update, and I really do hope you let me know how the PolarShield works for you.

Sheila

3:22 p.m. on May 21, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

You can find a review here:

http://www.consumerdemocracy.com/showPosrev.asp?page_id=193850&cat_id=11705&category=Tents

Hope it helps. I think I am also going to get one of this. This will be my first tent though and my first camp.


Quote:


We have been looking for a better tent to replace our Wal-Mart clearance special that has served us well enough for the last 3 years. Our search is presently being done on ebay. So far, we have only been in state parks, etc. but we do like to camp in spring/fall. If we find the right tent, we might even tackle some mild winter outings. Our main concern is staying dry and that it's tall enough to allow dressing inside (60" or so at least). We don't have unlimited funds but love to camp. I've read the equipment reviews and know to stay away from the Hillary tents that are listed on ebay right now. Does anyone out there have a PolarShield Tent? There is a 5 person model (XT-13) that looks interesting but I can't find mention of them or the brand anywhere online. I paid $15 for the tent we have now and this is a little out of our league. Any help would be appreciated.

4:54 p.m. on June 12, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I know its been a while, so what's the verdict on these tents? Thumbs up or thumbs down? Any info is appreciated. Wanting to bid on the 5 person model.

9:24 a.m. on June 22, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I know its been a while, so what's the verdict on these tents? Thumbs up or thumbs down? Any info is appreciated. Wanting to bid on the 5 person model.

Well I bid and won the 1-2 person - not impressed. Problems at first setup: a small puncture in side wall, thread and fabric scraps inside the tent, the screen door zipper lost a tooth and is unreliable to zip securely. Paid $25, you get what you pay for. I would be hesitant to trust this tent in severe weather and wouldn't like it in warm weather because no windows - the small vent at the top and the front door or the only ventilation and areas to view outside.

12:09 a.m. on September 20, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I didn't win a PolarShield.... and I'm glad I didn't from what I've read. We ended up with a nice, basic Coleman. We've spent many nights in it this year. Only one bad storm so far, but it weathered it well. The ventilation is wonderful and it's been dry and durable... everything we needed. We just got back from a 4 night stay in the Shawnee National Forest, Lake Glendale. We have nothing but good things to say about the Forest and our tent.

Bruce, sorry you got a dud of a tent. Ken, I hope you had at least decent luck with yours. We won our Coleman on E-bay and we love it.

10:04 p.m. on September 22, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

i actually purchased the 5 person tent (new, from ebay) a few months ago. for those who are doing a web search to find out whether you want to purchase it, i would advise otherwise. there is no true tent floor between the two compartments, which makes keeping the inside of your tent clean difficult. the zippers for the tent doors themselves broke the very first time i used the tent, forcing us to use only one of the doors. the two compartments are nice, but are very small, barely big enough for two people to sleep in comfortably. i definitely question the accuracy of calling it a 5 person tent. ventilation is also questionable. on breezy but sunny days, the tent still stayed unbearably warm.

i would pass on purchasing this tent -- i had my eye on different models, and i would definitely go for a brand that has more public information, and directions would help too!

7:42 p.m. on January 30, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Ok, I bought o ne, The 6 man tunnel tent. Smaller than it looks in the picture, Zippers are cheesy and if the overlall material was of better quality I would have new zippers put in. Unfortunatley the material is extremly light.

The plus side is it is an awesom desigh. I would gladly pay much more for the same tent made with better materials. The design is great. With the inner tent haning it creates a air pocket. I just used it on a scout campout where we had 5 inches of snow overnight. I was warn and dry. Unfortunately I am not confident that this tent can hold up under multiple camping trips.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Looking for a jacket w/ Polarttec Powershield Hi Loft Newer: need suggestion on how to easily tie things to trees, etc
All forums: Older: Mera/Island Peaks in April/May 05? Newer: WANTED EUREKA TRAVERSE 3 MAN EXPEDITION TENT !