To Stuff or Not to Stuff?

6:28 a.m. on November 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Fred

I have had a down sleeping bag for years (purchased from Herter's to give you an idea of its age). For long-term storage, I keep it hanging in the closet rather than compressed into a stuff sack - it is supposely not good for the down filling to keep it compressed in storage. Is this still the "conventional wisdom"? I also have a couple of bags with synthetic fill. What about those?

7:22 a.m. on November 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

That is correct. Don't store either one compressed or they will lose their "loft" thus not be able to insulate at the graded temperature. You can, in lieu of hanging them, store them in the loose large cotton sacks, which are available at most any outfitter. REI should have a bin full.

blade


Quote:

I have had a down sleeping bag for years (purchased from Herter's to give you an idea of its age). For long-term storage, I keep it hanging in the closet rather than compressed into a stuff sack - it is supposely not good for the down filling to keep it compressed in storage. Is this still the "conventional wisdom"? I also have a couple of bags with synthetic fill. What about those?

12:22 p.m. on November 10, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

Back in college days, I used to leave my sleeping bag stuffed, since there was so little storage space in the rooms in the student houses. However, I was out virtually every weekend, so it didn't matter all that much. Still, there was a noticeable loss of loft over a couple years.

Synth bags lose loft much faster than down, and both lose loft more rapidly when tightly stuffed, especially in a compression sack, and despite regular cleaning per manufacturer's directions. This is a personal observation as well as manufacturers' comments.

As bladerunner says, either store the bags completely unstuffed (either hanging or laid out) if you have room (and a dust-free storage area - dust accumulates by spontaneous generation from the atmosphere, I have come to believe), or in a cotton sack (not nylon, not plastic garbage bags). You don't have to get Official Cotton Storage Bags from REI or other outdoor suppliers, though. The cotton laundry bags from WalMart, Target, K-Mart, et al are just fine and a lot cheaper (they don't have an REI logo on them though - I suppose having the logo makes them vent better, or keeps the spontaneously generated dust away better?)

3:05 p.m. on November 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

For long term storage.....

throw it into a big burlap bag. Store it and let the puppy breath.

These bags can be purchased at feed and seed stores for about $2.00.

7:28 p.m. on November 10, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Pillow case

A large pillow case does a great job.
Jim S (:->)

2:05 p.m. on November 12, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Have been to REI hoping to score one of their cotton storage bags, was told they do not sell them without a sleeping bag inside (you only get one if you buy a bag), so unless REI wherever you are has a different policy, you won't be able to get one from them. You'll probably have more luck with the laundry/mesh bag thing, but be sure it's big enough to hold the bag loosely. If you have to compress the bag to make it fit(even slightly), it defeats the purpose of having it. I think the storage method suggested more oft than not by MFRS is to store the bag laid out flat, like under your bed, with nothing on top of it, instead, drag it out periodically and fluff it up, which will let it breath and also prevent it from gathering dust.

YMMV
TJ

Quote:

9:58 a.m. on November 13, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

If you have to compress the bag to make it fit(even slightly), it defeats the purpose of having it.

I don't think thats really true. Tight compression bends the hard center part of the feather and keeps it bent so it doesn't straighten out and push outward when you want the bag to loft. Gentle compression wouldn't do that. slight compression is much better than tight compression.

Quote:

I think the storage method suggested more oft than not by MFRS is to store the bag laid out flat, like under your bed, with nothing on top of it, instead, drag it out periodically and fluff it up, which will let it breath and also prevent it from gathering dust.

As long as it doesn't gather black widow spiders as well. A large pillow case does work on all but the largest winter bags.
YMMV
Jim S

Quote:

YMMV
TJ

Quote:

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Looking for tent Newer: Windstopper Fleece Jacket
All forums: Older: telluride mountainfilm world tour philadelphia Newer: WTB: 97 NORTH FACE STEEP TECH