Orizaba Trip

12:48 p.m. on December 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Can anybody provide trip information about climbing Orizba in Mexico?
Thanks

9:34 p.m. on December 16, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,396 forum posts

Just flew back last night. Take your crampons and ice ax. The trail from Piedra Grande to the usual high camp is very icey over the last half. We watched a guy slide down a gully trying to go without crampons - thought we were going to have a body recovery.

Best thing to do is get Secor's book on the volcanoes and study it. Since I am headed for the Wasatch tomorrow, I don't have time to answer questions until January, but I suggest getting a good guide, unless you have lots of glacier experience and can speak fairly fluent Spanish. If you are going by yourself (solo or small group of friends), fly into Mexico City, get the bus to Puebla, stay a night in Puebla (much nicer than Mexico City), then take the bus to Tlachichuca. There are 5 4WD "taxi" services from Tlachichuca to the hut at Piedra Grande. I suggest Joaquin Conchola (but if you have women in the party, watch out - Joaquin loves to hug the ladies). Joaquin is dependable, his family cooks great meals, and he has a bunch of nice rooms to spend a night acclimatizing or recovering after the climb for a pretty low price. Plan on camping in a tent at Piedra Grande, rather than staying in one of the two huts (less crowded, less noise, cleaner - although the 4WD services have done a lot of maintenance on the stone hut recently). Then hike up to a 16,000 ft high camp just below the glacier, with your summit climb the next day (only about 2500 ft left). With an early start, you can avoid a lot of the traffic going up, but you will have a crowd going down. With passable weather, it is a fairly easy climb, as 60 degree glacier slopes go. The trail to high camp is probably the hardest part, especially now with all the ice on the trail (trail network is more accurate).

2:27 p.m. on April 26, 2004 (EDT)

Quote:

Can anybody provide trip information about climbing Orizba in Mexico?
Thanks,

Killian Fiona Fidelidida

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply