Black Diamong Moonlight Pro headlamp.....

11:09 a.m. on January 15, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

anyone have one? Care to share your thoughts on this product?

12:26 p.m. on January 15, 2004 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Quote:

anyone have one? Care to share your thoughts on this product?

Good lamp. Enough light to hike off trail. Durable, small, light, batteries cheap. Itsa winner.

Brian in SLC

12:49 p.m. on January 15, 2004 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts
Moonlight Pro

I have the older Moonlight, not the Pro, but have tried out a Pro. It is a big improvement on the older Moonlight, especially the variable brightness. It has many of the advantages and disadvantages of current generation LED headlamps - light, very long battery life (I still have the first set of batteries in my Moonlight, with a couple years of use, including night skiing in the Tatoosh when we took much longer than intended, plus a bunch of climbing, off-trail hiking, track skiing, setting up camp, and cooking after dark), virtually infinite bulb life, and so on for the positives. The negatives are primarily in the nature of LED lamps - the light is very diffuse, and since it is on your head close to your eyes, it is a very flat light so that lumps in the terrain are not very apparent. In fog or dust, in addition to the backscatter you get with any headlamp, the diffuse beam can really make a fogbank seem opaque very close up. I also have a Myo-5 and have found that switching between the 5 LED mode and halogen mode in a snow whiteout and in a dust storm makes a huge difference in visibility (the focussed halogen providing some visibility and the diffuse LED mode producing an opaque curtain a couple feet in front of my eyes). The solution, of course, is to take the headlamp off and hold it to the side or at your waist to move the light source as far off-axis as possible. The other disadvantage is price - the prices seem to be continuing to climb.

Overall, as Brian said, a winner. I carry my old version as a backup and for in-camp activities like cooking and reading in the sleeping bag.

12:56 p.m. on January 15, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Thanks guys. Just ordered one.......

If any one is interested, Sierra Trading Post is selling 'em for $22.75.

12:17 p.m. on January 19, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Moonlight Pro

Based on your recommendation and Ed's find in Sierra Trading Post, I ordered one too. Thanks.

11:00 a.m. on January 20, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
We da men! n/m

nm

11:40 a.m. on January 20, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I haven't a clue

what your note means.

12:40 p.m. on January 20, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
we da men.....

we da men who go into the night woods with aircraft landing lights on our heads.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply