About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Cabela North Star Bivvy

5:39 p.m. on January 28, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Hey all,

I am interested in buying a relatively lightweight single person shelter. I dont mind spending a few $$$s for the right thing, but as I was doing some research I came across the Cabela North Star Bivvy. Its a two-hoop design and retails for a mere $50. It seems like a deal, and for a few extra ounces offers some additional space over a traditional bivvy sack. Am I missing something, or is the Cabela North Star Bivvy a bargain in waiting??? I have only seen the info available online, so any feedback from someone who has actually seen one or owns one would be most welcome.

You can check it out at the Cabelas site under Dome/Backpacking tents. I would paste the link but it is ludicrously long.

Any advice or views appreciated!

Drew.

8:47 a.m. on January 29, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Before you order that tent.....

Make sure to check out the Eureka Gossamer. The Gossamer is about the same size, but gives you a little more room in the vestibule and has aluminum poles. Fly and tent are one unit.

I have seen the Gossamer at Sports Authority stores on sale for $49.95.

I have owned the Gossamer and really liked it. Very storm proof.

9:10 a.m. on January 29, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Before you order that tent.....

Thanks, I will certainly look into that.

Quote:

)

Drew

Quote:

Make sure to check out the Eureka Gossamer. The Gossamer is about the same size, but gives you a little more room in the vestibule and has aluminum poles. Fly and tent are one unit.

12:32 p.m. on January 30, 2004 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts
Re: Before you order that tent.....

Drew, You might want to check out the new Backpacker 2004 Gear Guide-it lists a lot of one person tents-prices are all over the scale (about $80 list and up-more than $50, of course, but there's a good choice of designs. I'd check out E-Bay too-plenty of tents there as well.

Quote:

Thanks, I will certainly look into that.

Quote:

)

Drew

Quote:

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply