About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Tarptents

9:53 a.m. on March 3, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

For someone likes tents but weight of a tarp is this product as good as it sounds? Anyone have one and love it?

1:00 p.m. on March 3, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

For someone likes tents but weight of a tarp is this product as good as it sounds? Anyone have one and love it?

Try http://www.backpackgeartest.org
Go to "Shelter", then "Tarps and Bivys"
They have reviews of both the Tarptent Virga and the Squall, plus some reviews on others such as the ID Silshelter, and the BD Beta light.

Personally, I like tarps, but some tent-loving people also like the in-between area.

Cheers,
Cora

1:02 p.m. on March 3, 2004 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,234 reviewer rep
5,182 forum posts
tarps and tents

I have used various tarps (and plastic sheets) as shelters, and have a Megamid. They all work fine for most conditions, and all have their limitations. Main trick is learning how to pitch them efficiently in various conditions - things like judging wind direction, having trees, rocks, or your hiking poles to hold them up, how many ground anchors to use in various conditions (stakes, rocks, trees, whatever, plus how to attach the guy lines to the tent/tarp). The Megamid and similar tents are tailored to use as a floorless tent, so you need some sort of ground cloth (since many people these days carry "footprints", you really can't consider the groundcloth as an extra). One thing I often do in winter is dig a pit with benches and a "table" for sleeping, sitting, cooking, etc, with the tarp or Megamid pitched over it. This is very light and actually quite cozy. I also sometimes take a bivy sack and a SilTarp (from Integral Design), so the tarp acts as a windshield and rain cover. I have used this on winter treks and snow climbs, too.

One of the great things about tarps is that you can look out at the sky and surrounding woods/meadows/desert/mountains, unlike a tent where you are all cooped up. The downside is if you get a bad storm/rain/snow/blizzard/wind, you aren't as sheltered as you would be in a tent.

8:13 p.m. on March 3, 2004 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,738 forum posts

Go to Backpacking.net and check out the forums. There are a number of posts (you will have to search for them) about Tarptents, including some from Henry Shires, who makes them. I have a Cloudburst, but haven't used it yet, so no comments to offer.

Quote:

Quote:

Try http://www.backpackgeartest.org
Go to "Shelter", then "Tarps and Bivys"
They have reviews of both the Tarptent Virga and the Squall, plus some reviews on others such as the ID Silshelter, and the BD Beta light.

Personally, I like tarps, but some tent-loving people also like the in-between area.

Cheers,
Cora

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply