new boot recomendation please! Wanted: boot made like a running shoe

6:29 a.m. on March 30, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

I'm looking for new hiking boots that have a

Gore-Tex bootie

mid height

lightweight

flexible sole and upper like a running shoe.

I really don't need the stability of a regular hiking boot and I don't carry too much weight while hiking on flat as a pancake Florida and Georgia. I currently use the Vaque Vista GTX boot.

anyone know anything about the VASQUE MID GORE-TEX

11:21 a.m. on March 30, 2004 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts
Boot? Why?

Ed -

For a lot of my hiking, I just use trail running shoes. If I carry less than 25-30 pounds, I don't need the high tops, although there are trail running shoes with mid to high tops. I am currently using an Adidas shoe which I got from Runner's World. They have a number of trail shoes (biggest selection I have seen in one place). And I am using these on fairly hilly terrain, so they should work fine on Florida "hills". Much lighter than hiking boots, like a pair is half the weight on one hiking boot.

But, yes, I do go to a full mountaineering boot when humping that 50 pounds of climbing gear into the backcountry on top of my normal 20 pound camping pack.

11:40 a.m. on March 30, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Yes, mid height boot (4"). Because...........

I like to keep the sand out of my shoes, sand burrs and cacti love ankle bones and I want the Gore-Tex bootie.

The Vasque pair I mentioned are trail running boots.

10:24 a.m. on March 31, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

GTX booties/socks (btw, thanks Bill)

I agree with Bill. (btw, thanks Bills, I googled the "topping out" info ;-).

For the last few years, I backpack mainly using trail running shoes or whatever light weight stuff I like, and pack a pair of Rocky GTX booties (i.e. socks, just google it for more info) for rainy or snowy weather.

My old Army GTX Jungle boots lasted for almost 12 years. It served me extremely well (sorry no brand name here).
My current GTX boots are the Vasque Alpine which I use for mountaineering/ice-snow gully climbing in summer. You can get the non-GTX version (Vasque Apex) for desert hiking.

11:27 a.m. on March 31, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

sneakers + /- light wt gaiters +/- GTX socks?

Perhaps this combo will give you flexibility and solve your pricky problem as well :-)

1:57 p.m. on March 31, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
I never said I had a problem with my pricky!

although my pants ARE getting kinda thin.

Thanks for trying.... I'm leaning towards mid height gtx trail running shoes (lot less stuff to be puttin' on when I crawl outta da tent have to go pee in a hurry).

12:26 p.m. on April 1, 2004 (EST)
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts
Re: I never said I had a problem with my pricky!

Quote:

...(lot less stuff to be puttin' on when I crawl outta da tent have to go pee in a hurry).

Ed, you never heard of pee bottles? Oh, yeah, that's right, you live in FL and never have cold snowy weather. If you were into snow camping and expeditions, you wouldn't even want to get out of the tent in the middle of the night - way too much time and effort to put on all your layers. Just take a 1 liter or bigger bottle (old Gatorade bottles are perfect) with a fairly wide mouth and use that during the middle of the night. Then when you get up in the morning and get fully dressed, you find an appropriate place to dump the bottle. If you practice a bit, you can use the bottle lying down in your sleeping bag. One of the other benefits is that you can check to see if you are fully hydrated - should fill a liter bottle overnight, and you can check the color as well. Works for women, too, if they use one of the funnels on the market.

1:12 p.m. on April 1, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
ok good stuff, but................

I'm rather blessed with a large and patient bladder so nighttime dribbling isn't an issue... you guys are assuming again.

I'm talking mornings here!

Mental image of the OGBO practicing prone peeing is much more than I care to carry around in the old gray matter.

1:40 p.m. on April 1, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

points to ponder

First time I ever heard of someone considering the "putting on in the middle of the night" as a factor whether to buy one particular shoe over another; particularly when fit, weight and usage factors are far more important. If you channel yourself that way, you'd be like the pilot inadvertantly flying a plane into the swamp, while troubleshooting why the landing gear lock light won't go on. (1968 Delta flight into the alligator infested Everglades)

2:19 p.m. on April 1, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Thank you Don Repo

I was looking for the model #401.

3:06 p.m. on April 2, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

errr....

Might want to check your facts.
That was an Eastern Air Lines L-1011 that flew into the Everglades in 1972, not Delta.

3:42 p.m. on April 2, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

you get the idea

;

5:58 a.m. on April 3, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
"you get the idea". No, not really....

Only place you heard "putting on in the middle of the night" as a factor in choosing a boot was brought up in your post.

Bill was teaching the ways and means of indoor plumbing and I said morning fire drills is when I don't want to be dressing in full sail.

It's okay to join in the discussion without using pedantic analogies.

6:01 a.m. on April 3, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Oh and I forgot to ask....

Since you chimed in, do you have any recommendations for a hiking boot that is built like a running shoe?

6:56 a.m. on April 3, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: you get the idea

I knew you what you point was, but I happen to work for DAL and we airline types tend to be a bit sensitive when someone else's crashes are credited to us.

As far as boots, I'm a die hard fan of heavy leathers and the support they offer, so no, nothing to add on the lightweights.

Cheers
ag

7:25 a.m. on April 3, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

***One of the other benefits is that you can check to see if you are fully hydrated - should fill a liter bottle overnight, and you can check the color as well. Works for women, too, if they use one of the funnels on the market.***

Bill.....

This is an interesting point. I'm interested to know - why do I check my 'color', and what are the things I should look for?

I go out a lot, carry 2-3L water in, 2L on the trail (so I don't have to stop and filter so often), and refill to 3L at night - so my pee is usually pretty clear (unless I take my 'superman' vitamins that make my urine glow) - anyway, can you perhaps expound on your comment? I'd like to learn a little.

THANKS!!!

BR

8:40 p.m. on April 4, 2004 (EDT)
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts
Clear and copious

The "standard" test for state of hydration is checking volume and color. Dehydration shows up as decreased volume and deeper color. Presumably, everyone is familiar with the normal color of their urine (although a lot of published articles claim that most Americans are somewhat dehydrated most of the time). If the color becomes darker and/or the volume decreases, you are becoming dehydrated. If the color is deep orange or almost blood-color, you am in a heep o' trouble.

Recommended hydration for normal days is something like 8 cups a day (compensate with more if you drink diuretics, like coffee, tea, cola, or any caffeine-containing drink or alcohol). During heavy exercise, like hiking, backcountry skiing, etc, you can lose a liter an hour through respiration and perspiration, so you may need to be drinking a liter an hour (and yes, winter snow activity, especially at altitude, loses as much or more water as Florida 90-90 weather).

10:15 a.m. on April 5, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

opinions

No need for the sacastic condescending tones Ed.

I like the New Balance 975 Walking shoe that is waterproof and avail in both low and mid-height cut. Its their top of the line walking shoe but the agressive tread, adaquate tounge padding and strong arch support makes it a great lite-weight trail hiker for me. I particularly like the mid cut for a bit more ankle support as I'm always tripping over uneven stuff when not watching my feet. Also avail in size 15 Wides....a rare commodity. I find my lite weight hikers just don't stand up very long...they seem to loose their cushion and support within a year. I've got a closet full of sneakers and shoes that are good for water + boat use....heck, they're even still good for standing around a keg of beer.

10:54 a.m. on April 5, 2004 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Keg of beer?

Now we are talkin the same language! I have never lost my desire for standing around a keg of beer and a campfire since my college fraternity daze (TKE).

Thanks for the shoe tips. What you described is what I was looking for in a shoe and did end up ordering the Vasque.

What kind of boat do you have? I live on a chain of lakes in the Orlando area and hown a Moomba Outback ski boat. Nice thing about Florida is you can waterski every weekend during the year. Water temp only gets down to ~70 degrees F.

12:30 p.m. on April 5, 2004 (EDT)
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts
wilderness medicine

So you know, I am not an MD. I just have WFA cert. What I said in the post above is found in any number of good wilderness medicine books, not just my personal opinion. I suggest you get one of the really good wilderness medicine books and read the section on dehydration. MFOTH also has a discussion of the topic.

4:39 p.m. on April 5, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: wilderness medicine

Quote:

So you know, I am not an MD. I just have WFA cert. What I said in the post above is found in any number of good wilderness medicine books, not just my personal opinion. I suggest you get one of the really good wilderness medicine books and read the section on dehydration. MFOTH also has a discussion of the topic.

Gotit. Thanks! I'm trying to find the time to do the WFA course sometime this year (thru local Sierra club)... guess I need to go ahead and finish it.

11:25 p.m. on April 6, 2004 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

Quote:

...(lot less stuff to be puttin' on when I crawl outta da tent have to go pee in a hurry).

Bill said:
""": Ed, you never heard of pee bottles? Oh, yeah, that's right, you live in FL and never have cold snowy weather. If you were into snow camping and expeditions, you wouldn't even want to get out of the tent in the middle of the night - way too much time and effort to put on all your layers. Just take a 1 liter or bigger bottle (old Gatorade bottles are perfect) with a fairly wide mouth and use that during the middle of the night. Then when you get up in the morning and get fully dressed, you find an appropriate place to dump the bottle. If you practice a bit, you can use the bottle lying down in your sleeping bag.""""

Hi Bill, et All, (:->)
Hafta argue one small point though, however I know where Bill is coming from and he is correct from the LNT point of view. In the Winter - unless the weather is mild - your pee bottle will freeze over and you will have to thaw it in order to empty it. Some time back I froze a measured amount of water (3 cups?)into a camping pan. Then I dumped 1 cup of tap water on top of the ice and melted it on a campstove. I heated it up to near boiling and set a gator aid bottle full of simulated - you know - into the pan and popped the pan back into my freezer for something like half an hour, then did it again and after one hour it thawed enough to pour most of it out, but I measured the amount of fuel required and it was significant. The moral is - camp in really isolated spots and after using your bottle and capping it. Reach out your tent door - yes vestibule and all and SLOWLY pour it out. As the hot liquid hits the snow it will sink immediately through the snow making one small frozen yellow hole. Then you will be able to use it again if you have to.
YMMV - I guess this is such an old one that it needs an explaination - YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
JimS YMMV

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply