Brunton Optimus Crux Stove fuel compatibility question

7:06 a.m. on June 4, 2004 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

Bill, you probably already know the answer to this!

Will the crux stove use Camping Gaz cannisters?

What fuel brands will it accept and do you have to leave the stove on the can once mounted?

Anyone have one of these? how do you like it?

6:43 p.m. on June 11, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Good grief! I can't even get away for a few weeks of road trip and people are asking questions that supposedly I know the answer to off the top of my head. Hey, look at Brunton.com!

Ok, it happens I do know the answer. The Optimus compressed gas stoves only use the "industry standard threaded coupling" aka Lindal valve. This means you can use Optimus canisters (duh!), plus canisters from Primus (hey, Primus was part of Optimus for several years before being sold to Seviert), MSR, Markill, Coleman (well, one of 5 different Coleman canisters, which means *not* Coleman's Camping Gaz/Bleuet or Xtreme, just the "standard" connector), Snowpeak, and a few others. These are all butane, butane/propane, isobutane, isobutane/propane, or butane/isobutane/propane mixes. Same as the vast majority of compressed gas stoves out there.

Just as with any of the "standard" threaded canister stoves, you can remove the stove top from the canister and replace it many times. You will probably run out of fuel in the canister before the neoprene seal gets too worn or distorted to leak.

The really neat thing about the Crux is that when you take the top off, it folds up small enough to fit in the concave bottom of the canister, making an astoundingly compact package. Snowpeak has what looks to me like a close copy of this stove top.

I would place it in the intermediate heat group of canister stoves - not as hot as the MSR Superfly or even Pocket Rocket, but hotter than the tiniest titanium stoves. They all simmer about the same. I do not think a piezo lighter is an option.

While you are at it, though, take a look at the Brunton mantle-less, globe-less lantern - no more broken mantles or glass globes in the middle of a trip, but you pay for it up front.

Quote:

Bill, you probably already know the answer to this!

Will the crux stove use Camping Gaz cannisters?

What fuel brands will it accept and do you have to leave the stove on the can once mounted?

Anyone have one of these? how do you like it?

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply