How do you stay dry in the rain?

11:35 p.m. on June 8, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

If you are out on a hike in the middle of nowhere, how do you stay dry? There are nice Gore-tex coats and rain pants. I'm in Florida and it is way too hot in the summer (March to November) for a thick 3 layer Gore-tex coat. Plus it can rain like mad here.

7:48 a.m. on June 9, 2004 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
I always watch weather reports before heading out.....

Of course with us living in Fl that's not necessary cause theres gonna be a deluge everyday at 4:00 PM.

I religiously carry a 5' x 7' nylon tarp, 50' of nylon rope and two tent stakes with me in the summer months. This tarp is the same material as a rain fly for a tent. I have 8' strings pre-tied to each corner of the tarp (left from previous use).

I always also carry a mini-hammock.

I keep these items in a zip lock bag and kept in an exterior pocket of my pack where I can get to it quickly.

When it starts raining, I look for a four tree configuration. I hang up my hammock, tie the rope above me (to the two trees), put the tarp length wise over the rope, stake out the rear of the tarp and tie the front to two more trees.

If you can't quickly find 4 trees, head into the brush, tie off the tarp above you and sit on your pack. Normally you do have plenty warning of a storm approaching.

I lie in the hammock perfectly dry & happy and wait out that 30 minute storm.

I ALWAYS carry my goreTex suit no matter what the temp.

Good luck!

Ed G
Clermont, FL

11:50 a.m. on June 9, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Is the Hammock to Avoid the Gators???

n/m

1:15 p.m. on June 9, 2004 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Gators, Seminoles and the occasional Rattler. n/m

nm