baby backpack for back country

5:54 p.m. on July 23, 2004 (EDT)

Looking for a previously loved baby backpack in good condition for hiking in the back country.

7:29 a.m. on July 24, 2004 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Try ebay. Tough Traveler packs seem to sell for quite a reasonable price. I had their stallion model and thought it was great.

12:41 a.m. on July 25, 2004 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts
Also looking for one- Any other recommends?

So far I have tried a few from Madden, Snuggli and Even-flo, none of them fit very well (me or the baby). I'm looking for one that has a good sun/rain shade and a lot of extra storage space, and of course a comfortable suspension system.

2:09 a.m. on July 25, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. MBM

I have used the Kelty Expedition carrier for the past 3 years. I can still carry my 45 lb 3 year old without too much strain on the pack. (Just a little on dear old dad). This pack is huge. It has tons on room. When my daughter was lighter I packed her in 4 miles with enough stuff for us to stay out for 2 nights. It was light packing but I did it.

There are only two down sides that I have found. 1) is that the top sincher straps for the shoulder harnesses are attached funny. The are not above the sholder straps but about about an inch towards the center of the pack. This causes the load to be improperly lifted when the load is more then about 40 lbs. It would be more unconfortable the wider your shoulders are. 2) And this might interest you more as a woman. My wife hates this pack because she can't wear the waist belt. It is way too big for her and she is not a petite woman. We tried to contact Kelty about getting a second belt for her when we first got the pack but after several non-responses we just gave up.

Overall I like this pack especially for its size. Unfortunatly Kelty doesn't make this model anymore. They have one similar (the pinnicale I think) but I have not seen tried it on. I don't think that it is as big as the Expedition. I have seen a couple of the Expeditions floating around on ebay though.

Good Luck. Let us know what you go with. I have another youngster about ready for a pack and may be looking to change packs.

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply