Map, compass, and GPS

11:50 a.m. on July 29, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

From time to time, people post here with questions about navigation in the back country. As a volunteer effort with the Sierra Club, I give workshops on map, compass, altimeters, and GPS, plus other practical aspects of not getting lost in the hills and woods. This includes fieldwork, so you get practical experience. The next one is Aug 21-22 at Clair Tappaan Lodge, on Donner Pass in the Sierra. This is not a commercial venture, but a lot of fun getting familiar with the gadgets and widgets in the woods. You can get the information at the Sierra Club website, under the lodge activities section.

4:32 p.m. on July 29, 2004 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
How about doing a workshop in the Florida jungles?

on a great day you can pause and see five feet in front of you... while your removing the thorn vine from your face.

We need some expert jungle bushwacking edumacation down here!

4:59 p.m. on July 29, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Jeez, How Hard Can it Be....?

See the croc....step over the croc!

6:13 p.m. on July 29, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts
Jungles - pfooey!

Hey, I was born and bred an Arizona Desert Rat. I had my experiences with jungles and swamps living in Central America and Mississippi. First requirement I have is humidity below 50 percent, preferably below 30 percent. Second requirement is that any predators I have to deal with must be warm blooded with fur or feathers - no large reptiles with big teeth and powerful tails. Big puddy tats and Yogi are ok.

OTOH, if you make it worth my while and schedule it during the cool part of the year (hmmmm, Florida doesn't have any cool part of the year, does it?), I might consider it. But then it wouldn't be a volunteer thing, would it? Naaaah. I got too personal with a gator once while I was living in Mississippi. That was enough - he (she?) had awfully big teeth and really terrible halitosis.

11:18 a.m. on August 2, 2004 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
croc? That a new football team? n/m

nm

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply