Hikes in Zion & Bryce

7:29 p.m. on September 15, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Keith

Any advice for hikes/overnights in Zion or Bryce? I have two day to spend at the end of a conference. Best spot for primitive camping in either Park? Any wildlife to be aware of?

10:17 a.m. on September 16, 2004 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Bryce seems like more of a drive by type park. There's a couple good trails, ie, the one that goes by Thor's Hammer. But, much more in Zion.

Tons of hikes in Zion. Several guidebooks and websites. Topping the list would be the Narrows, Angels Landing, Emerald Pools, Subway.

See www.canyoneeringusa.com and/or www.climb-utah.com for some ideas.

Camping...outside each park, tons of public land. Also campgrounds available too.

Wildlife to be aware of? Try not to lick too many spadefoot toads...

Brian in SLC

11:59 a.m. on September 17, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Grant

To expand on one of Brian's suggestions, while it probably doesn't satisfy your criterion of "primitive camping," you must see Zion Canyon Narrows. It is a 16-mile hike along the course of the Virgin River, several miles of it at the bottom of a slot canyon several hundred feet deep. The colors and rock formations are stunning. It can be done in one long day, but two is better. The NPS website has a lot of helpful information about the hike. This is a great time to go, both because of the season as well as the fact that the water is low.

4:32 p.m. on September 28, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott M, Scott M.

I did a day hike in the narrows. My overnight hike was to the West Rim Springs. It was very cool since my wife and I didn't see anybody once we past Angels landing, but if you are short on time you might just want to go up to Angel's landing and come back down. On my way back from the West Rim springs I went out to Angels landing and was amazed.

If you only have two days I would recommend, like Brian, Angel's landing and the narrows.

October 30, 2014
Quick Reply