Fabiano Boots

10:54 p.m. on September 20, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Does anyone have an idea of how to care for Fabiano hiking boots?

11:51 p.m. on September 20, 2004 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

If these are old leather boots you can rub snow seal into them. There are waxes and silicon leather treatments to choose from now - any will work, but I still prefer wax. Other than that - if they have leather soles and are nice old boots, maybe get some shoe trees to put in them to help keep their shape.
JimS

11:06 a.m. on September 21, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Jim -
Someone told me that Snowseal can tend to eat away at cemented soles. I've used SS for years on stitched Norwegian welts + cemented soles on my Fabiano SL M3's BXX and never had that problem. Perhaps there a difference between petroleum based products and beeswax? Thought SS was from our friends, the bees. (except yellow jackets...they don't play fair in my book!)
I also was never concerned over sealing up the breathability that a goretex sock touts as being a plus. Just concerned about keeping water out of my boot, not letting any dampness out...which never happens with/without snowseal ..in my opinion.
I've used the sprays....costly and they just don't seem to cut it....more of a temopoary repellant.

11:19 a.m. on September 21, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts
Snowseal

SnowSeal is mostly beeswax, with silicone added. Biwell (which I prefer these days) comes in 2 varieties - beeswax based and petroleum based - you can tell by whether it is the red or green tube. I use the beeswax. However, there are different tanning methods used for the boot leathers. You should use the waterproofing that complements the tanning that the boot manufacturer uses. The best manufacturers provide a little hangtag/booklet that tells their tanning method and suggests waterproofing materials that complement it.

I have never had a problem with SS affecting cemented soles.

My recollection for my Fabianos (wore those out long ago) is that beeswax is the recommendation - Snowseal or Biwell

1:09 p.m. on September 21, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I Need to clarify

In my note I indicated:
"Someone told me that Snowseal can tend to eat away at cemented soles."

What I meant to say was that I HEARD that petroleum based shoe treatment products tended to cause shoe cement softening and thereby causing cemented soles to become unglued from the leather upper.
Don't know if thats all hooey or not. I do admit, my Scarpa's do show some small separation pockets on the leading edges of toebox area...guess it could be treatments I'm using, but probably from stumbling into rocks/roots all the time. I should learn to pick up my feet more so!

8:53 p.m. on September 22, 2004 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I found this a few years ago when I was shopping for my last pair of boots. I ended up getting some Scarpa Rios (and not Randy's custom boots), but use his recipe for leather care. Going on 4 years and seems to be working well for me. Steve

http://www.randymerrell.com/leather.html

8:59 p.m. on September 22, 2004 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I should add that for wax I use Nikwax water based.

1:54 p.m. on November 17, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I think Fabiano is out of business.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply