boots

6:19 a.m. on September 29, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

gday. i do a lot of tramping with a heavy pack "off trail". i have a pair of asolo fusion boots that have been good boots to wear but constantly being wet has caused the stitching to rot and the boots are pretty much had it now after i guess about 6-8 weeks of solid use, even though i have washed the boots,dried them thouroughly and treated them with a reputable leather treatment after each trip. have spoken to asolo about the stitching rot and they say to get them re-stitched, but being goretex lined, the membrane will be punctured and will not work.
basically my question is this, if anyone was going to be tramping for up to a couple of weeks at a time in areas where river crossings are very common, what would your preferred boots be? looking forward to any and all replies.

10:00 a.m. on September 29, 2004 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I have a pair of Merril Wilderness boots which I think work well. They are very traditional boots - one-piece leather uppers, norweigen welt, lug sole. These are well made and very sturdy. For off trail hiking with a heavy pack I do favor more traditional leather boots. To me gore-tex in a boot seems like a bunch of hype. I also don't like boots with a lot of seams.

If I needed a new pair I would look at a pair by Limmer. Otherwise these options may work for you. The Bean North Col hikers have a good reputation although I do not own them. Sierra Trading Post sells some nice looking boots by Alico at a very good price.

With boots, the most important thing is always the fit.

6:23 a.m. on October 11, 2004 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I know what u mean about the fit, my latest pair are leather Brasher and I feel the fit is not right. I am not sure how to explain it but they just don't hug my feet. They are not to big so I am not sure how to fix it.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply