backcountry ski gear

8:55 a.m. on October 8, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

interested to know what you all use for backcountry ski equipement. boots ,bindings ,skiis.
i currently have nnnbc bindings on atomic sierras and use alpina boots. they seem to be ok but are alittle light for tele.
any thoughts??

10:37 a.m. on October 8, 2004 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Mira, G3, Scarpa T2's

Upgraded early last spring from Mountain Surfs to BD's Mira. Handles hardpack without quite as much chatter, still floats nice, turns easy.

Binding was on the ski and is some version of G3 (red with a cartridge). Bindings don't really make a huge diff to me (at least I think they don't...!) as I usually just parallel on them and just need something to keep my foot on the ski.

Boots: I'm on the oldest version of the blue Scarpa T2's. Before that was the green version. Before that was the leather Asolo Extremes (my heels have never been happier since the switch to plastic!) and before that Asolo Summits (double leather boots).

Most folks here who backcountry ski in the Wasatch are on similar set ups. Trend has been wider, more shaped and a tad heavier for skis, and lighter for boots as folks are gettin' the latest version of the T2's with thermofit liners.

Also have friend with the newer Scarpa F1 setup with dynafit bindings on a light alpine ski. Hard to imagine a quantum leap in lightweight AT from that set up...or comfort for hikin'/skinning uphill.

Then there's a friend who skis his old non metal edge, double camber epokes with low top leather boots on a light, old, three pin binding...right down most steep powder slopes...easy money...(for him!)...

Mostly fall line type skiing here...at least that's what we shoot for...

-Brian in SLC

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply