About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

soft or hard shell pants?

1:20 p.m. on October 19, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Kate, Kate F

I teach at an outdoor school in a rainy environment (BC coast, an hour North of Vancouver), and I find the Gore-Tex pants I own keep me way too warm (its rainy, but not cold). I am looking at soft shell pants, but am concerned about whether they will keep me dry from the outside. I know they aren't waterproof, only water resistant. They are appealing because they are more breathable than Gore-Tex.

Any thoughts?

5:26 a.m. on October 21, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've been using a pair made of Schoeller Dryskin going on 3 years and they're amazing. They're tough, stretchy, warm, dry quickly, highly wind-resistent, breathable and comfortable to wear - in short, they live up to the manufacturer's claims which seemed too good to be true.

3:03 p.m. on October 22, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Having used soft shell in wales, when it rains anything more than a light shower, you will get wet! Stick to paramo!

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply