Gore-tex XCR: improvement?

3:30 p.m. on January 9, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

I've read that it's more breathable, more waterproof, it keeps warmer, etc.
A mountain-shop customer told me also that the XCR can be streched and compressed, so packed in little space, without damaging the functionality of the membrane, or without limiting its durability.
Any of you knows if it's true?
I bought a 2-layers gore-tex xcr, for quite a lot of money, and I wish I bought something durable and high-quality crafted.
thank

8:25 p.m. on January 10, 2005 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Gore-tex XCR is supposedly more breathable than the original Gore-tex, although I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in the pieces I own. Packability seems about the same between XCR and original.

The person you spoke to may have been thinking of Gore-tex Paclite, which is lighter and more packable than 2-layer Gore-tex or XCR.

In all cases, the quality of "Gore-tex" outerwear can vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. Construction techniques vary, and the Gore-tex membrane can be bonded to different shell materials. In the two-layer variety manufacturers also use a variety of liner materials, which can affect the fit, feel, and function of the piece.

Gore-tex is almost 25 years old. There are deinfitely still some good Gore-tex products being made, but many of the newer waterproof breathable fabrics do perform a bit better. But the major manufacturers have been working with Gore-tex for a long time and have figured out how to make some pretty good outerwear.

5:06 a.m. on January 11, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Thank you Dave. I've just read of the gore-tex paclite,
and I agree with you that the customer has been wrong.
I asked about this tech, because I bought a Primo Jacket by Patagonia. It cost me a lot.
Do you know that item?

6:04 a.m. on January 11, 2005 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Patagonia stuff does usually cost a lot, but you get what you pay for. I don't know much about the Primo jacket, but I believe it's designed as a ski jacket. So it should be durable but probably a bit on the heavier side. It appears to have significant reinforcements, which will add to both durability and weight.

8:50 a.m. on January 12, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Thanks a lot for your ready answer Dave.
I'm going to review the Primo Jacket as well as I'll get some more elements about which appraise it.
Carlo

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply