eVENT technology

4:51 p.m. on January 13, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi all,
I've read some reviews about the top waterproof shell by MONTANE: the SuperFly jacket(http://www.montane.co.uk/products_wetlite_superfly.htm)
that is build with the eVENT storm 3-layers technology.
They say that this tissue is more breathable and lighter than Gore-tex XCR, the only one that can compete with it.
I'm interested about it, because I noticed that none of the trailspace community has reviewed a montane gear (except for me, that I reviewed the light-speed jkt, made of Pertex Microlight, and actually co-builded, or distributed by Ferrino here in Italy.In fact, if you see, Ferrino's jkts are the Montane ones).
How are these eVENT wearings?

12:00 p.m. on January 15, 2005 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

eVent seems to have caught on more quickly in Europe than in North America. Over here the Gore-Tex brand still provides a lot of marketing power for a product, so many manufacturers have kept using Gore-Tex even when technically superior fabrics may be more appropriate. Lowe Alpine is the only major American brand I know of that's using eVent for outerwear on a large scale. Feathered Friends and Integral Designs also use eVent for sleeping bags on a limited basis.

6:20 p.m. on January 15, 2005 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

I have had the Integral Designs eVent jacket for a while now. It is significantly lighter than the Montane (9.5 ounce vs 15 ounce, both in Large). I have been using it in our torrential storms that "sunny" California has been having for a few weeks now, doing a fair amount of hiking, biking, running (no backpacking, climbing, skiing, since I have been spending too much time on business trips and not getting into the hills - well not quite, since I took a detour to the Donner area for a couple days of BC skiing, during some of the blowing snow time). Anyway, I find it is more waterproof (no wetting out) and way more breathable than any Gtx or PreCip jacket I have used. I did carry a pack during the BC skiing, and don't see any wear on the shoulder strap or belt area. Then again, I would not expect any in that little usage.

Rumor has it that eVent is less durable than XCR (Gore says this means "eXtra Comfort Range", but it is so expensive that I suspect that it really means "eXtra Cost" (fill in your own word for "R"). The base fabric looks like ripstop, so I would expect it to wear about the same as other ripstop coated fabrics. ID says they intend its use as high activity over a couple of layers. For expedition use, I would expect to have jackets designed with something like cordura over the high-wear areas, like those on my Marmot expedition gear. I would expect it to be about in the same league with Gtx if you tried running through brush.

9:33 a.m. on January 17, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Lowe Alpine isn't using eVENT anymore. Instead, they changed to GTX, purely out of commercial reasons, not because GTX is better.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply