Help on Pack Choice

5:34 a.m. on January 21, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

I am new to winter camping and i have gotten everything else that i need and have been just making due with the packs i already own. I have been looking for awhile and have narrowed it down to the Dana Terraplane LWT, and the Granite Gear Stratuss Passage (its a closeout item). I have tried both on and in the store i like both of them but i've never used either in the feild and i wanted some input from people that have or have more experience with the brands than i do.
Thanks

11:35 a.m. on January 21, 2005 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,313 forum posts

I have had the Terraplane OK for a number of years, including taking it up Denali, Orizaba, and shorter mountains. My wife has the Terraplane X (follow-on to the 10th Anniversary Edition), which basically is the same as the LTW. They are excellent expedition packs, with good capacity, and they fit us very well. However, ours were done while Dana Gleason still owned the company, before he sold it to K2. I have talked to Dana a number of times over the years, and he has expressed displeasure with how K2 has modified the packs (personally, I don't see a lot of difference in the current Terraplane, Astraplane, and others that are continued names, except they are all manufactured in SE Asia now instead of Montana).

Main thing is that these are expedition packs intended for heavy loads. They are very heavy when empty (something like 6 pounds for the small Terraplane X and 8 for the large OK). I generally tend to carry my Kelty Cloud on winter ski tours because it is so much lighter, still carries well, and is modular enough to lighten it still further for day tours from a base camp (2 pounds in the "day tour" configuration, 4 in the full expedition mode with all pockets and straps attached).

No field experience with the Stratus. But like the Dana, it has more than enough capacity. It gets very tempting to keep adding to the load while there is space to shove something more in. You should think about how to compact and lighten your winter load. If you have a pack that works (you say you are making do with ones you already have), you probably don't actually need a new pack.

11:54 a.m. on January 21, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Thanks for the advice i was talking another guy on the net today and he advised me of pretty much the same thing. My only question is that if i have to carry some of my girlfreinds load will a smaller pack lets say a dana glaicer be capable of holing mine and her extra gear for both winter and summer packing
thanks

7:31 a.m. on January 22, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Winter camping... in snow?

If you're snow camping, consider using a sled for your heavier wt items instead of stuffing an expedition pack :-)

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply