Off to Hawaii

7:06 p.m. on April 23, 2005 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Tomorrow I leave for 2 weeks mostly on the Big Island called Hawaii. We'll be staying in Kona on the Dry side - S.W. I hope to snorkel every day, take lots of flower pictures, hike in the jungle, and go to the wet side near the lava flows. Last time I was over there I flew really low over the lava flows in a private plane with some friends - I had agreed to buy the gas which was $80. It puts a primordial knot in yer gut looking down a couple hundred feet at flowing lava...
We were married on a beach south of Kona 24 years ago - neadless to say we know the island pretty well.
I admit I am a bit nervous about the undersea island SW of Kona - an earthquake or eruption there could rinse Kona off the map. And Mona Lowa could errupt at anytime, still I'm thinking of buying land or a home over there.
Jim S (:->)
Jim S

6:37 a.m. on April 24, 2005 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Have fun! We just got back from Oahu. Didn't manage to do much hiking. There are some pretty spectacular trails on the island, but they tend to go a lot of spots we didn't want to taje an eleven-month-old. Oh well. All that beach and ocean are much more conducive to being lazy for a while. I need to get back out and explore the Big Island sometime...though it would probably be hard to top Kaua'i as my favorite.

5:48 a.m. on April 25, 2005 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I used to do a lot of sorkeling & diving in Guam. Absolutely beutiful. Take hot dogs down with you to attract Nemo.

I believe that's were I picked up my love for bushwaking in the jungle.

Once found an old Japanese handgrenade in a cave.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply