Trailwise Down Sleeping Bag circa 3-1-'75 or '76 - Insulation Rating

3:06 p.m. on June 2, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

Will this mummy bag be warm enough for 4 nights camping out in June in Ausangate mountain (21,000 ft) in the southern Peruvian Andes? It's a running trek. It was ok in the south eastern Rockies of New Mexico.
Trailwise is no longer in business. These specs are off the tag.
Material - White goose down
Article: - Norland 2R
Net wt of filling mat'l - 34 oz
Registry no - CA 20562

Trip guidelines recommend insulation (down/synthetic) rated to at least 20F.
Consider one at 10 - 0F if you have one, otherwise sleep with all your clothes on.

Thanks

8:39 a.m. on June 3, 2005 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

What sort of weather have you slept in the bag? Anything comprable to the cold and wind you'll encounter at altitude in the Andes?

34 ounces of down is about what you'll find in a lot of today's 0-degree bags. However, down production methods have improved significantly over the past 30 years, so today's down has a loft more loft (and hence warmth) for its weight than the older stuff does. Also, down loses its loft with time as use, and 30 years is a lot of time. What started out as a 10 degree bag may only be comfortable to 25 after 30 years of use. (Depending on how often it's been used, how it's been stored and cared for, etc.)

Also consider that on a guided trek, your guides may very well turn you around if they think you're not properly equipped for the trip. Do you want to take that chance?

Bottom line: if you've used the bag sucessfully in conditions similar to what you expect to encounter in Peru, you'll probably do okay. Otherwise, I'd be shopping for a new bag.

1:13 p.m. on June 4, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have a couple thirty plus year old down bags. One has held it loft quite nicely. The other has not, result of some poor laundry methods, I suspect. It used to loft 8 inches, not just barely five.

Lots of factors could have effected how the Trailwise bag has held up over the years. if was in a stuffbag, rather than a large long-term storage type bag, that could also impact the loft.

My suggestion: let it fluff, measure the loft. If you are are getting close to eight inches and will have good insulation below, you may have a winner.

Trailwise was a good brand.

11:48 a.m. on June 12, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

Treeguy and Dave - Thanks for great advice! Measured loft - 8"and got a REI fleece liner just in case. This is a wonderful site for sage advice from experienced people.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply