Steripen

11:26 a.m. on June 11, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I use a MSR Miniworks fro water filtration, but I'm considering a Steripen. It's lighter and purifies instead of filters. They now have a pre-filter for murky water. But my question is how do I get the purified water from the bottle into my Platypus easily?? Anyone have any experience with this?

11:53 a.m. on June 14, 2005 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

Carol -
I do not have personal experience with the Steripen, but have more experience than I care to have with a Platypus hydration bladder. The big problem is the tiny cap/hose attachment. Most of the other manufacturers have much larger fill openings, and do not combine the cap with the hose attachment (there are different versions of the Platypus setup, the one I have being the combined fill/hose). Two suggestions - how about sticking the Steripen into the Platypus fill opening? And what about the old traditional funnel? The Steripen may be too large for the fill opening, or might not extend far enough in to be effective.

The tests I have seen indicate that the Steripen is effective against organisms. But it will not remove chemical contamination, which we have in the local hills (Santa Cruz Mountains; thanks to mining activity in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s).

Question - how effective is the new pre-filter in removing fine silt, such as glacial flour and volcanic ash? These clog pump-type filters pretty rapidly without using several approaches discussed in this forum over the past couple years, but probably pose no health hazard (except, who wants to drink murky water?).

1:11 p.m. on June 17, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Thanks for your input on this.

I've decided to keep using my MSR Miniworks. I can filter water that is just a trickle when necessary. I don't like murky water even if it is safe. The pump can filter the smallest water source with ease. And I like the platypus for it's light weight. The Miniworks connects right to the hose of the Platypus, no problem.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply