Newbie w/ a question about boots

10:48 p.m. on July 31, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Hello everyone, I'm planning on moving to British Columbia, Canada to go to University. I asked my mom to get me a good pair of boots becuase a) I don't have a pair, and every man needs a pair of boots, b) I am planning a lot of outdoorsy stuff like hiking and mountain climbing, so boots would be necessary for those activities, and finally c) if it gets cold or snowy/icy, a pair of boots could come in handy.

She went out and bought me these

http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1776446&cp=1779791.1761081.1761136&parentPage=family

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with them. They are those classic steel toed ones. I don't know if they are good or not so I was wondering if you could tell me if they were what I'm looking for or not. Thanks a lot!

1:42 a.m. on August 1, 2005 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

James, I'm not familiar with that particular boot, but from looking at the description and picture of it on the link you posted, it may not be what you really want. It looks more like a workboot than a hiking boot. Take a look at their other boots under hiking on their website and you'll see the difference. Asolo, Merrell, Vasque and Lowa are other well-known brands that make hiking boots. They look very different from your boot. I suggest you thank mom, return the boots then head for a store that sells a variety of hiking boots and start trying them on.

The trend in hiking boots is toward lighter boots with Goretex liners for wet weather like in BC. I like a taller boot, but that's personal preference. Depending on the kind of climbing you may be doing, you may want to look later for a specialized pair just for climbing. Those tend to be heavy and outrageously expensive. If you are going to be in Vancouver, I was in a big outdoor store there in downtown that had all kinds of boots--can't remember the name, might have been Eco Outdoor Sports. Mountain Equipment Co-op is another place to look in Vancouver.
To see some of the variety of boots available, go to www.rei.com or www.mec.ca and see their boot selection.
For really cold weather, Sorel boots are popular and reasonably priced, but they are not really a hiking boot for general use.

12:07 p.m. on August 1, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Hmm I see, they are pretty heavy compared to the real hiking boots and they don't look quite as comfertable. However I may still keep them becuase I need an all around boot. Hiking will be a hobby of mine, but the most important reason I need boots is for rain and snow. Some of those hiking boots didn't look very good for that. Do you think those would be good boots for overall year-round use?

Oh by the way, you were talking about climbing boots being heavy, why is that? Wouldn't you want light climbing boots?

Thanks a lot, James.

12:39 p.m. on August 1, 2005 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Many of the boots you see are waterproof because they have Goretex or similar material in them, like a jacket does. For rain or snow, I would think most any waterproof boot would do fine-a taller one would most likely be drier just because less water would get in over the top. Sorels or Baffins are good for snow, but are probably too hot for general use and don't have the same kind of support a normal hiking boot would. I wore Sorels with snowshoes once and they worked fine.
As for climbing boots, if you are talking about mountaineering boots, they are heavy because they are stiffer and designed to take more abuse than a regular boot. Most are not all that comfortable for hiking long distances compared to a lighter hiking boot. Many climbing boots are double boots with a plastic outer shell (the heavy part)and a soft insulating liner of some sort. Look at the mountaineering boots on REI's website and you'll see the difference.
Rock climbing shoes are very different--they are more like very sticky slippers and designed for a completely different purpose.
The boots you have are probably fine for around town, but may not be comfortable for walking longer distances, like the difference between a running shoe and a street shoe. Try them out and see how they feel. Maybe you'll like them and save yourself some money.

11:39 p.m. on August 1, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I tried on my dad's hiking boots and they were much lighter and more comfertable. I definitly don't see myself hiking too far in the boots I have now, so I think I'll keep them for snowy days and just save up some money and get some real hiking boots. Thanks a lot for your help.

11:32 a.m. on August 2, 2005 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

get yourself some gore-tex lined mid height trail running boots.

They are like running around in a waterproof high top sneaker.

I have a pair of Vasque Talus GTX from Sierra Trading Post that give me a big warm fuzzy. Nike, addidas and a lot of the running shoe companies make trail running boots.

2:32 p.m. on August 3, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Waterproof high top sneaker eh? That sounds cool, I'll definitly look into that thanks.

7:50 p.m. on August 5, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I live in B.C. and have 49 years of mountain experience here as well as having fitted and sold mountain/hiking boots for a living. Steeltoed boots are NOT what you need and Gore-Tex in boots is a gimmick. When you get to Vancouver, go to AJ Brooks and buy a pair of Meindl medium hikers which will do everything that you arelikely to do while you are here. Go to www.AJBrooks.com to see the boots for yourself; if I were you, asssuming that you are young, tough and althletic, I would buy the Meindl "Perfekts" and I have worn these for the most demanding conditions B.C. offers.

11:37 p.m. on August 28, 2005 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Let me elaborate on steel toes and gore-tex. First there is nothing in the description of your boots that mentioned steel toes. If they in fact are then they won

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply