Leather boot repair

2:52 p.m. on August 22, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I need to repair my 1976 Irish Setter leather hiking boots, the leather has completely worn away from the outside toes of each one. Do I need to buy a leather repair kit before rubbing it in mink oil or mink oil substitute? Can this even be repaired? All I know is that it has taken me years to break this shoes in and I don't want to give them up. If anyone has any suggestions....

6:15 p.m. on August 22, 2005 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

AdAm -

Given that you have a pair of boots that you have spent many miles breaking in and that fit you perfectly (well, as perfectly as anything other than custom boots can fit), It would be well worth your while to seek out a top-level boot repair shop to do the repair, rather than trying to do it yourself with some off-the-self repair kit. I don't know what part of the country/continent/world you are in, but there are top-level shops in Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, California (a couple in Bishop, right on the eastern slope of the Sierra), Utah, Colorado, and New Hampshire that I know of or have been recommended here and on a couple of the other websites (like the thru-hiker sites). Most if not all will work with you via UPS/FedEx/USPS. Let us know what general part of the country you are in.

9:54 p.m. on August 22, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I live 1 hr northwest of Atlanta,GA and I don't know of any boot repair shops around....if you have any info I am all eyes

1:15 p.m. on August 23, 2005 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Well, you would pick the part of the country I don't know of good shops. I lived in Mississippi for far too long and found a general dearth of gear in the SouthEast for a large number of my activities (bicycling being an exception). I know this has changed in the last 20 years for some of my activities.

Ed G lives in Florida and gets to Georgia frequently, so maybe he can come up with a suggestion.

Otherwise, I can suggest contacting Wilson's Eastside Sports in Bishop, CA, http://www.eastsidesports.com/, 760-873-7520. Their re-soling and boot repair business currently operates as The Rubber Room, http://rubberroomresoles.com/. Although their website emphasizes climbing shoes, they do hiking boots as well.

5:05 p.m. on August 23, 2005 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

sorry Adam I go to Saint Marys, Georgia once or twice a year. not frequently.

3:12 p.m. on August 26, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

my boots are unrepairable, however I got some good meltonian rub and they look a lot better now, guess I'll have to rely on the scotchguard...

5:23 p.m. on August 26, 2005 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

Forget Scotch Guard. It's only a water repellent.

Get Kiwi's Camp Dry. Consider whatever you have sprayed with it waterproof.

I get the Camp Dry at the shoe dept of WalMart.

You know if you are camping in the same environments as I do (southeast), IMHO leather boots are really an overkill.

I started out with leather ones and have worked my way into Gore-tex lined, mid height, light weight trail running boots.

Brand I currently wear are the Vasque Talus GTX Mid.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply