About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

jan-april backpacking europe jacket

5:23 p.m. on September 9, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm going to be studying abroad next year, in paris january-march, then two weeks to meander around the continent, and the from april-june in athens, greece. I'm looking for a jacket that will serve in the winter in paris (I'm from chicago, so I'm looking forward to a pretty tame winter), but that I can also carry around on weekend excursions and while backpacking in late march. I guess I want something not too heavy, breathable, but will keep me warm in winter as well. Is there such a thing? I was looking at the mountain hardwear alchemy, to give you an idea. Thanks...

10:12 p.m. on September 9, 2005 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,737 forum posts

"(I'm from chicago, so I'm looking forward to a pretty tame winter)"
Man, have you ever been there? A friend of mine lives in Paris and the winter weather can be absolutely wretched. It may not get as cold as Chicago, but it rains fairly frequently--that's why EuroDisney doesn't do well in the winter. A good Gore-tex jacket with a hood would be my choice.

8:44 p.m. on September 13, 2005 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

David:
That

4:46 p.m. on September 14, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

The MH ALchemy costs 240 dollars!!!???
Montura Flyer eVENT jacket (Montura is an Italian brand, and it's the most used brand from the european alpinists),
or a Marmot in its own Membraine.
Anything but a TNF ;-D

9:14 p.m. on November 19, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. andrew f, andrew friedman

there are several brands that allow you to zip a fleece lining into a shell, that may be a good option. North Face and Columbia are 2 I can think of, but you can probably find very solid and less expensive substitutes at REI or LL Bean. North Face is expensive but sells, or used to sell, both a light and heavyweight fleece liner. for getting around town, being able to zip the liner in is a big plus.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply