jan-april backpacking europe jacket

5:23 p.m. on September 9, 2005 (EDT)

I'm going to be studying abroad next year, in paris january-march, then two weeks to meander around the continent, and the from april-june in athens, greece. I'm looking for a jacket that will serve in the winter in paris (I'm from chicago, so I'm looking forward to a pretty tame winter), but that I can also carry around on weekend excursions and while backpacking in late march. I guess I want something not too heavy, breathable, but will keep me warm in winter as well. Is there such a thing? I was looking at the mountain hardwear alchemy, to give you an idea. Thanks...

10:12 p.m. on September 9, 2005 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,895 forum posts

"(I'm from chicago, so I'm looking forward to a pretty tame winter)"
Man, have you ever been there? A friend of mine lives in Paris and the winter weather can be absolutely wretched. It may not get as cold as Chicago, but it rains fairly frequently--that's why EuroDisney doesn't do well in the winter. A good Gore-tex jacket with a hood would be my choice.

8:44 p.m. on September 13, 2005 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

4:46 p.m. on September 14, 2005 (EDT)

The MH ALchemy costs 240 dollars!!!???
Montura Flyer eVENT jacket (Montura is an Italian brand, and it's the most used brand from the european alpinists),
or a Marmot in its own Membraine.
Anything but a TNF ;-D

9:14 p.m. on November 19, 2005 (EST)

a.k.a. andrew f, andrew friedman

there are several brands that allow you to zip a fleece lining into a shell, that may be a good option. North Face and Columbia are 2 I can think of, but you can probably find very solid and less expensive substitutes at REI or LL Bean. North Face is expensive but sells, or used to sell, both a light and heavyweight fleece liner. for getting around town, being able to zip the liner in is a big plus.

October 9, 2015
Quick Reply